Show "Next Street Name" on XL Classic?

TomTom Model(s)
XL CLASSIC
Hi,

My tomtom classic xl doesnt show the name of the next street. It just shows "turn left 400meters". I'm sure my old tomtom one showed the name of the street?

Sometimes it can be hard to know which street to turn if the roads tightly packed.

I always have mine on silent so I need this info.

How to turn this on?

TOm

Much depends upon the model of your 'old' TomTom. It may even have told you the street name!

With your current unit, does it matter if you are in 2D or 3D view as to whether the street name associated with the next nav maneuver is shown at the top of the screen or not?

I think that model has a simplified menu with fewer options than a full menued device. That omission may be one example.

Here is a link to how to create a custom menu to add back some missing functionality.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159

I hacked my device in this way and it is fully functional again with proper interface, including my street name problem. Took a while to get the menu neat.

Thank you!

I wonder why tomtom dont give users this option out the box. Certainly I felt the lack going from old tomtom to new tomtom.

Probably they will say "Sorry, you are mistaken, users don't want those options", :lol:

Bad as it sounds -- In a way, we hope that's what they say, and that they don't have even poorer reasons for the reduction in features! We lost a few more going to the 'latest' versions (e.g., no real itinerary planning).

I hacked my device in this way and it is fully functional again with proper interface, including my street name problem. Took a while to get the menu neat.

Would you be prepared to share your final menu layout file?

We often point people to the instructions on how to make a custom menu, but don't have many decent working examples to offer.

Would you be prepared to share your final menu layout file?

We often point people to the instructions on how to make a custom menu, but don't have many decent working examples to offer.

This is the one I used. It is essentially copied from genci88's posts so credit to him.

You need the bmp files otherwise the icons are greyed out.

Everything is in attached zip file which you unzip into tomtom root folder, i.e. SdkRegistry should go in root folder.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| This remains blank|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Menu - Page 1 of 3 - Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Menu - Page 2 of 3 - Advanced Routing|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Menu - Page 3 of 3 - Favorites and Options|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|"Turn_Off_Sound.bmp"|"Sound On/Off"|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|"Day_Night.bmp"|"Night Mode On/Off"|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|"Preferences.bmp"|"Preferences"|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5|Preferences - Page 1 of 4 - Points of Interest|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|"Switch_POI.bmp"|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MANAGE_MAPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6|Preferences - Page 2 of 4 - General Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS|
MENUITEM|TASK_LEFTHANDED|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_LANGUAGE|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE7|Preferences - Page 3 of 4 - OSD Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|Preferences - Page 4 of 4 - Device Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|

Tom

p.s. It really is bizarre that tomtom makes us do this in order to get a usable device! :lol: :lol:

Maybe there is some marketing logic in crippling their devices that my engineer brain cannot fathom, but all I know is I wont be buying another tomtom, and will recommend no-one else do either!

Attachments

• SdkRegistry.zip
    20.1 KB · Views: 383
Not so loud! You never know when even the *.mnu capability might disappear for these Nav2 devices!

Marvellous! Thank you Tom. I'm sure this will be useful to other owners who don't have the time or skills to experiment with making their own menu file from scratch.

Maybe we should do an FAQ/Article about it, mods?

You never know when even the *.mnu capability might disappear for these Nav2 devices!
Marvellous! Thank you Tom. I'm sure this will be useful to other owners who don't have the time or skills to experiment with making their own menu file from scratch.

Maybe we should do an FAQ/Article about it, mods?
Strike while the iron is hot!

Ask a Question