Should I upgrade to NA map?

Agreed....If I were to lose the text to speech capability, I wouldn't upgrade if the NA map was free.

I have a ONE XL S with 'text to speech'. Does the speech feature still properly read the street names with the NA map?

Yes it does, quite well I may add. I download the NA map to 2gig card and it works flawless. I think i have around 157 or 167 meg left on the card.

From all of the posts I've read thus far about the NA map versus US/Canada, it appears that the extra details of the NA map is purely aesthetic (more colorful details of lakes, parks, rivers, shows some off roads and small streets, more POI's..., etc). However I haven't read anywhere where the extra details would make the unit function better and more efficently. Does anyone know? The 50% off for the NA map is tempting, just not sure its worth the money spent just to have nicer looking map.

Well it makes the unit far better when those extra streets and POI's are in your area. For me it's not that it's just nicer looking. It's definitely functional.

Many people will notice no change, but in my case there are major changes. It's the only map to include my own street. even the newest us/canada 7.10 doesn't have my 20+ year old street and nearby subdivisions.

It's the first map to allow me to navigate on some roads here I've been using for 40 years. again the us/canada doesn't cut it.

IMHO the NA map is the only tomtom map to come close to the garmin maps I have which are about 10 years old....

Only close though...still not as detailed. Far better though than the us/canada which is far inferior to what I'm used to with the garmin maps.

as usual someone will probably refute my garmin comments, but remember I'm the one using the maps in my area...your experience in other areas may vary...:) :)

Last edited:
Living close to that spot I knew it was Halifax's sister city Dartmouth. search there and you"ll find it.

also got the co-ordinates to work as well. they need to be typed in correctly...degrees etc in the right spot.
Yeah, sorry about that, I guess I should have said Dartmouth... Probably would have made things a little easier... Hindsight - it's 20-20. :eek:
Greetings fellow Nova Scotians! :cool:

So reading way back when. If I was to purchase the NA map do they still have to setup a dummy account?
I have a ONE v2 can I just choose the NA map from the 920 unit and save it to my ONE and all is good?

Allo, Majarvis!

Hello...guess there are a few more of here than I realized....
Hey guys, I noticed you were mentioning Countryview Drive in Dartmouth Crossing. Is any of that mapped in the North American map yet? I have the 7.10 USA/Canada map and only Countryview Drive is. I went around and added some POIs for fun when I first got it and shared them through MapShare, like Best Buy, Empire Theatres, Staples, etc. but none of the other roads were on it.

virtually nothing showing there. I have two screenshots you can see in post number 11 in this thread.....they're from the NA map. :)

virtually nothing showing there. I have two screenshots you can see in post number 11 in this thread.....they're from the NA map. :)
Ah, yeah I see there's hardly anything there. Did you add those POIs in DC or I wonder if they're the ones I submitted via MapShare? Or would my POIs that were submitted from the USA/Canada map be shared to users with the NA map? I guess it probably won't be until several map releases later until anything substantial is going to be mapped there.

I added POIs for every store (and some "coming soon" stores) in Dartmouth Crossing with an almost dead on spot to where the store is located by comparing a shot from Google Earth (it showed the whole place still under construction, but the roads were more or less visable) and the map of the stores shown on the Dartmouth Crossing webpage.
Unfortunately there is no way for me to update the roads in Dartmouth crossing because (at least on my XL-S) I cannot report a road that does not actually intersect with an existing road. Also, the last section of County View Drive, isn't actually Country View Drive, it's Gale Terrace. I couldn't change that either because I cannot select just part of the road.

Oh okay. Well, thanks for the hard work in adding all of them! I guess it looks like it probably won't be for quite some time before most of Dartmouth Crossing is mapped then...

Ask a Question