Should I return my TomTom?

I got a TomTom XL S the other day, and I thought it was one of the best for the price ($249 at Wal-mart).

I was having problems updating in TomTom Home, and I found out it is because of one of the updates, specifically "TomTom Application for One XL T"
(more info on that here https://www.tomtomforums.com/showpost.php?p=63548&postcount=3 )

Well it turns out that the ONE XL T update is the updated Version 8.010, which includes "QuickGPSFix" http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6141&Lid=1

Since I have to go back to the original version 7.167, I noticed it doesn't respond as quickly as the updated version. Basically I can pass a street and the TomTom shows that it is still in front of me.

I have a few days left to return it to the store, but not sure what to get to replace it. I noticed the TomTom XL 330 costs the same at Wal-mart, but the XL S costs $50 more at other stores such as Best Buy, so I'm not sure if the XL S is a better model.

Should I return it and exchange for the 330 or should I keep the XL S and hope they have a fix soon?

From Tim, the moderator of another forum when asked the same question..

"Then the primary difference is the new mount style on the 330. The XL 330 also is a little slimmer, has a little better battery life, and is a little lighter. If both are the same price, go for the XL 330."

I recently got a refurbished 720 - like new - for a friend from Tiger Direct for the same price as you paid (sales tax saved roughly off-sets the shipping cost - they are currently listed for $269).

It has new product guarantee and apparently the map guarantee, as I was able to update the 710 map to the 720 version. Not all the refurbished sources are going to be the same (avoid eBay), but I can vouch for Tiger Direct. other forum members have had similar experiences.

You will have a much better unit for about the same price.

Since I have to go back to the original version 7.167, I noticed it doesn't respond as quickly as the updated version. Basically I can pass a street and the TomTom shows that it is still in front of me.

Try reducing the number of POI that you're showing. Sometimes the GPS lags a bit when it is showing a large number of them.

From Tim, the moderator of another forum when asked the same question..

"Then the primary difference is the new mount style on the 330. The XL 330 also is a little slimmer, has a little better battery life, and is a little lighter. If both are the same price, go for the XL 330."

I wish TomTom had a side-by-side comparison of the two to see the comparisons. Besides the battery life, it seems like the differences between the too are looks. I don't see that the 330 has better functins, for example the XL S has text-to-speach.

I recently got a refurbished 720 - like new - for a friend from Tiger Direct for the same price as you paid (sales tax saved roughly off-sets the shipping cost - they are currently listed for $269).

It has new product guarantee and apparently the map guarantee, as I was able to update the 710 map to the 720 version. Not all the refurbished sources are going to be the same (avoid eBay), but I can vouch for Tiger Direct. other forum members have had similar experiences.

You will have a much better unit for about the same price.

Thanks, never thought of Tiger Direct, but I was looking at the refurbs on Ebay. I noticed that the 720 has a 400 Mhz. processor speed which is faster than the XL S (which is a 266 Mhz. processor).

Faster processor, twice the battery life, extra free internal memory space, that sounds like a better model for the price.

By the way Consumer Reports gave the 720 a better score, but the XL didn't do too bad compared to it: http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2082/consumerreportsto1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks much GAW! I have returned the XL S and have a refurbed 720 payed for and hopefully will be shipped soon.

After comparing the 330 to the 720, and knowing that the 720 has a 1 year FACTORY warranty, it was a no-brainer for me.

Ask a Question