Should I purchase the North America map or the USA & Mexico map?

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a TomTom Go 730 (Australia) but will soon be traveling to North America so I will be purchasing the appropriate maps via download from the TomTom website.

However, I'm a little confused over the options for North America.

It seems there are 2 maps available for purchase on the TomTom website shop:
1. Map of North America 2GB (1579.2 MB) v8.25
2. Map of USA & Mexico 2GB (1513.2 MB) v8.25

Both of these maps claim to include Canada in their descriptions on the TomTom website shop.

So my question is, does the 'USA & Mexico' map include Canada as well? If so, do the maps of the USA & Mexico suffer in their detail to keep the download size to 1513.2 MB?

Thanks very much for any help! :)

Dave.

Would you ever consider Mexico as part of your travels? If not, get the NA_2GB map. Also, consider getting a 4-gig sdhc card for your unit and put the map on it.

Hi dhn,

Thanks for your reply!

We were thinking of popping into Mexico if we're in Southern California at some stage but it's not a major part of our plans.

Although, it's more important to me that the maps of the USA and Canada are the most detailed available, I guess all I was thinking is that if the two maps are identical except for the fact that Mexico is a free added on extra that comes with the USA & Mexico map, then I may as well buy that one.

Is there any reason why you think the NA_2GB map would be a better way to go?

Thanks again,

Dave.

I took a look at the site where the map options were. Did you notice that, despite the verbal reference to being covered in the USA & Mexico map, that the country of Canada is NOT colured in whatsoever. That's somewhat suspicious to me.

I just feel that if indeed Mexico is a 'throw in' then something has to be given up in return and I suspect road details and volume of poi's might suffer.

Not saying you would not be satisfied with the US & Mexico, but it just wouldn't have the same overall detail as the other.

That's my feeling, anyway.

Thanks for that dhn.

My gut feeling is to go with the North America map too which i think I'll do.

It just seems a little odd that a map that includes an extra country would be smaller and still include as much detail.

Thanks very much for your input, I really appreciate it.

Dave.

P.S. I actually bought a 4GB SDHC card the other day for my maps too.

Mexico is a narco-terror state and the border areas are extremely dangerous these days. I recommend avoiding it.

Mexico is a narco-terror state and the border areas are extremely dangerous these days. I recommend avoiding it.

I agree wth you Schneid, both Canadian & Usa tourist information are advising to be very cautious if planning to travel to Mexico, especialy in the present economy.

Dave, I would reconsider driving to Mexico. If you are just going to go the border area (Tijuana), then go to downtown San Diego, and take their red line train. Takes right into San Ysidro, which is on the border, and walk over. That way you won't have to pay for the additional insurance to drive in MX. You also won't have to worry about getiing your car broken into, getting stopped by highway robbers, or worse yet, getting stopped by the Police down there. There are local police, State police, and Federales. Each want you to pay to get off on your "Violation". Good luck, and check out the US Dept of State web site for trip advisories.

Would you ever consider Mexico as part of your travels? If not, get the NA_2GB map. Also, consider getting a 4-gig sdhc card for your unit and put the map on it.

Noob question here:

I have a 720 with NA mapping. I'm going to the UK in the summer. Do I simply use TT Home to download the N. Europe map? If so, can I select where it gets saved (does it go straight on the 720, the SD card or the PC when downloading it)? If I have it on the SD card, can I simply select that map with the 720 when I get to the UK and expect it to work immediately? Lastly, why a 4GB card, not a 2GB?

Many thanks!

Keef

A 4 gig card is a VERY good idea. With it inserted in the unit, when you connect using Home, when asked what storage you want, select external (the card).

Now, go to add maps and purchase the European map. All downloads are first stored on the computer but installation will go to the card.

When you get to Europe, go to Manage Maps and select the European map and you are set to go.

BUT, test it all out BEFORE you leave! :D

Thanks dhn! :)

One more follow up: I want to create pre-planned itineraries for the UK trip with Tyre...when I do so, should I store them in the usual place (on the 720) even though it'll be reading the map from the SD card?

Cheers,

K

The units sees folders and files in both places, internal and sd card. You raise a good question. My gut feeling is to place a folder called itn (all lower case) on your card since the European map will be placed on it. Download TYRE's itineraries to that folder.

Should work ok.....

With the European map active, you s/b able to Navigate to Itinearies icon and select what you want from there and apply to the European map.

Again, try all this out prior to leaving NA, just to make sure, eh? ;)

I agree with those DO NOT GO TO MEXICO!!!!!! Terrible place to get killed or robbed.....Not very attractive anyway. Tijuana is not a good place to visit. Very dirty and run down.

Here is what the map includes
1. Map of North America 2GB (1579.2 MB) v8.25 --> USA and Canada
2. Map of USA & Mexico 2GB (1513.2 MB) v8.25 --> USA and Mexico (NO CANADA)

The instruction on the TT must be wrong

Benoit

You may want to wait a few weeks.

The 140/340 series have a brand new USA_and_Canada_and_Mexico map, version 825.

Perhaps tomtom will sell this for other devices when map 830 comes out.

To the contrary, Mexico (and Baja particularly) are great!

I agree with those DO NOT GO TO MEXICO!!!!!! Terrible place to get killed or robbed.....Not very attractive anyway. Tijuana is not a good place to visit. Very dirty and run down.

Wow, what an unfortunate and sweeping generalization. Baja California, Mexico has some of the most beautiful beaches and coastlines in North America, many within driving distance of Southern California.

The vast majority of people I've met in Baja have been incredibly nice. Granted, I wouldn't want to hang out in Tijuana, any more than I'd want to hang out in any other gang infested North American town. But are you going to avoid, say, Beverly Hills because of its proximity to South Central L.A.?

I don't want to split hairs or start a flame war, but my goodness, let's tone down the Geraldo Riveraesque breathlessness. As long as you're not in the drug biz, Baja's an amazing place to visit--and yes, even to reside.

Ask a Question