Shortest Route?

TomTom Model(s)
GO510
I have a GO510 that I'm trying to learn. I must say it's very frustrating. To begin with, when I try navigating anywhere from my home location, which is .75 miles west of the highway, I am routed further west, then south, then east to the highway which adds an additional 2.5 unnecessary miles. Is this correctable? I have the latest version of U.S.Map
Thank you for your help.

I have a GO510 that I'm trying to learn. I must say it's very frustrating. To begin with, when I try navigating anywhere from my home location, which is .75 miles west of the highway, I am routed further west, then south, then east to the highway which adds an additional 2.5 unnecessary miles. Is this correctable? I have the latest version of U.S.Map
Thank you for your help.

I think most TomTom users will agree that "Shortest" routing results are virtually useless. Use "Fastest" instead.

I've also found that the TT 1 doesn't give the best directions. It seems to route me along the streets with the most lights, etc. It also will give different routes to the same destination at different times. I have it set to the Fastest route but that doesn't seem to help.

We have just returned from a 500 mile trip. We've traveled it numerous times in the past without TomTom. I routed the "shortest" to the destination and I was taken on some of the most desolate backroads I was beginning to think I was lost and gone forever. Narrow snowmobile roads that were barely wide enough for a regular vehicle. Return trip was routed "fastest" and I must say it was right on. Although the actual mileage was about the same, the fastest won out because the slow route was hampered by being unable to maintain a proper speed.:D

I have quickly realized that using a GPS is not a substitute for intelligence or common sense. These things cannot "think" and are restricted to whatever logarithm they are programmed to. You'll obviously know local areas and the "shortest" or the "quickest" routes to travel or commute. Judging the TT by its "failure" to know what you know through experience and knowledge isn't reasonable. Someone traveling through you're area may probably be directed by a route you wouldn't take, but that traveler won't get lost, and that's the main idea.

I traveled to rural Ontario last week from southern PA. About 100 km from my destination my TT directed me down this looong narrow gravel road well off any main roads, which made my 13-year-old very amused. But the Fall foliage was terrific and we saw a bit of country we wouldn't otherwise have seen. (As they say, the journey is more important than the destination). But I admit that I thought my TT was looney, but it brought me back onto a main road and I arrived at my destination ok. And it turns out that the route it chose was in fact a faster route since the RV which had been ahead of me when my TT advised me to turn went past me about 20 minutes after I had stopped for lunch!

I guess its a trade off... the shortest route on the slowest roads will still get you there way later than the fastest w/ more mileage.

Ask a Question