Setup/Verify operation with overseas map

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi everyone, greetings from Australia.
My first post here...

Have just purchased a GO 720 here in Australia, which of course comes standard with an Australian map and this functions just fine.

I have now downloaded the map-set for Western Europe (approx 1.7GB) & installed it to a 2GB SD card. And I have installed the TomTom application on the SD card also.

But when the TomTom is turned on, it appears that it is still functioning from its internal memory and still operating with its original Australian map only.

Is there any way to confirm that the unit is fully setup and suitable for use in Europe before traveling there?

What makes me ask this question is: I thought the unit should have booted-up from the SD card and given some indication that it was operating with the European maps. I even wondered if it would be possible to plan a short itinerary of European addresses for testing purposes before departure. But at the moment this doesn't seem to be possible.

Also, I can see that there are a lot more folders on the unit's internal memory compared to the SD card -so could it be that there is some more setup required on the SD card before it will operate with the European map-set?

Thanks in advance for any replies

geejay

Thanks Harry, I was looking in the wrong place for the switch map option.

Found it with your help, and all is ok now
Regards,
geejay

You can save some space on the sd card by removing the operating system from it (make sure it is still in internal memory).

One of the nice things about the x20 models is that the operating system does NOT have to reside in the same location as the map you are using.

As was pointed out to you, the 'manage maps' is the option you needed (and found). The fact the operating system was on the sd card would not have made that function work any better.

You can save some space on the sd card by removing the operating system from it (make sure it is still in internal memory)...

Thanks for that dhn!

I was pondering that very question just as your reply was posted!

It?s great to hear it confirmed that the operating system can reside anywhere, but I have just observed a weird location issue associated with TTS (text to speech) though. A computer voice ?English Kate? would not run from internal memory while the SD card was plugged in, (but it would run correctly when the card was out).

I solved that by installing the voice to the SD card ?but I was a little surprised that I needed to do that though.

Maybe the voice will run correctly from internal memory if the OS is running from the same location.

That?s something I will try tomorrow, as it?s off to bed now for me since it?s just on midnight here as I post this.

Regards,
geejay

Ask a Question