Setup Guide BB 8100 Pearl w/ TomTom

To get your pearl working with you TomTom you need to do the following, this involves downgrading your Pearl software version

1) Create a full backup of your BB using blackberry desktop manager
2) Remove any other blackberry pearl application software versions from your computer by going into add/remove programs and removing anything that is named something like "Blackberry V4.X for the 8100 Series Handheld"
3) download and version 4.2.1.66 from the link below (there is more than one version there so make sure you get 4.2.1.66), don?t worry about the fact that it is for TIM Italy, I used on a Cingular/AT&T US phone and it worked fine h**ps://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=1D72310EDC006DADF2190CAAD5802983
4) Disconnect your BB from your PC
5) install the 4.2.1.66 on your computer (not yet to the handheld)
6) Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
7) Connect your blackberry to your PC and open apploader in blackberry desktop software
8) Select the option to install an older version of software from RIM
9) When prompted to create a backup select NO, you already did this
10) Click yes when prompted with warnings about loosing data
11) Let the install of 4.2.1.66 run all they way until your BB comes back to life and you are able to see the main screen, it is going to take at least 10 minutes maybe more
12) Perform a restore using the backup you created in step # 1
13) If you are on BES you will need to activate your device again, contact your sys admin to give you an activation password

Your BB should work with TomTom plus data connection now

Currently using V. 4.2.1.107

To get your pearl working with you TomTom you need to do the following, this involves downgrading your Pearl software version

<snipped for brevity>

Your BB should work with TomTom plus data connection now

For all other intents and purposes, my BB 8100 seems to work with v. 4.2.1.107 and it is beyond me why downgrading and presumably being forever stuck with V. ..66 should be a reasonable work around for accessing a wireless data connection with my highly evolved TomTom GO 720.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there better advise available when the TomTom will not access a data connection via T-Mobile's Blackberry Pearl (8100)?

Ask a Question