Setting Up SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL-S
I got a 2GB SD card for my TTOne XL-S and I am ready to set it up to use with the Tomtom. From reading posts I THINK I know what to do but I want to make sure.

Is this correct? -
Make a computer backup of the TomTom including Hidden Files. Copy that entire backup through the computer to the SD card in a card reader/writer. Insert card and turn on the TomTom.

Then -
When I do updates do I do them to the TomTom connected to the PC with the card in?

TIA!

I got a 2GB SD card for my TTOne XL-S and I am ready to set it up to use with the Tomtom. From reading posts I THINK I know what to do but I want to make sure.

Is this correct? -
Make a computer backup of the TomTom including Hidden Files. Copy that entire backup through the computer to the SD card in a card reader/writer. Insert card and turn on the TomTom.
Correct!

Then -
When I do updates do I do them to the TomTom connected to the PC with the card in?

TIA!

You can just use the SD card in the card reader because it will look like your internal memory to your Home application since it has the TT operating system on the SD card. TT Home can then update with whatever you wish.

Just make sure you disconnect your device with TT Home in order to make sure all data has been written to the SD card. Failure to do so could lead to corrupt data on your SD card.

Routinely, I then reconnect the SD card in the reader and prevent Home from restarting, connect the TT with the USB cable while still preventing TT Home from restarting and copy the updated data to TT's internal memory. The routine data is the ephem foler and the map's MapSgare updted files. This insures that if my SD card got unusable, I could just remove it and be able to keep on navigating. I also copy this data on my hd just to make sure I am fully covered... I'm a believer that having two backups is better than having none.

You can just use the SD card in the card reader

Just for clarification, Gilbert mean just use the SD card in the TomTom's SD card slot and TomTom Home will automatically use the SD card's information and ignore the TomTom's internal memory.

Correct!
Routinely, I then reconnect the SD card in the reader and prevent Home from restarting, connect the TT with the USB cable while still preventing TT Home from restarting and copy the updated data to TT's internal memory.

Couldn't I just take the updated SD card out of the TT and update the TT internal memory with TT Home and accomplish the same thing to have a internal update that matches the SD card update?

Couldn't I just take the updated SD card out of the TT and update the TT internal memory with TT Home and accomplish the same thing to have a internal update that matches the SD card update?

You could but I found it faster to do it manually than having to choose, in TT Home, the other memory unit, wait for Home to load it and then waiting for the download of the same content and applying the update to TT's internal memory.

I need to say I use Total Commander for all my file handling. It has a 2 window showing the content of whatever drive/folder and can show the files sorted by time which tells me which files were updated. It allows me to do any file operation and even compare files by content. I've been using it for at least 8 years and is one of my ?essential? tools. If I go out to help someone, I bring it along... For me it is my ?enhanced Windows Explorer?.

The reason I use the SDHC card only in the card reader for all updates is that, when the SDHC card is in the TT's card slot and accessed with the USB cable to the PC, large file operations are often mangled because of the old USB standard (v1.1) that applies which is not the case when using the card reader. I often needed to run ?chkdsk x: /f? on the SDHC card after updating with MapShare which did not occur when using the card reader. This type of problem is common to all ONE models and does not seem to affect GO models that use a higher end Samsung integrated chipset which has the more recent USB standard.

Last edited:
I just reread the 1st post and notice you wrote SD card and not SDHC. Although I never owned an SD card to test, most do not seem to be affected by file corruption/bad fat tables so common to SDHC cards when updating medium to large files...

Ask a Question