Setting TimeZone - TTOne 3rd

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd Edition
Updated files on my TT are time stamped about six hours ahead of my local time. I'm guessing my TT thinks it is in a different time zone, despite being able to get lat/long within a few feet ;-)

Can this time zone setting be corrected?

Thanks.

Updated files on my TT are time stamped about six hours ahead of my local time. I'm guessing my TT thinks it is in a different time zone, despite being able to get lat/long within a few feet ;-)

Can this time zone setting be corrected?

Thanks.

European time (where the files come from) is ahead of us in NA.

European time (where the files come from) is ahead of us in NA.

True, but these are updated ahead of current time indicating that the internal TT clock is six of so hours ahead. Is there a way of set the internal clock/ time zone.

Updated files on my TT are time stamped about six hours ahead of my local time. I'm guessing my TT thinks it is in a different time zone, despite being able to get lat/long within a few feet.
I guess that the timestamps are UTC, which is derived from GPS time. Your TT does not know, or indeed care, what timezone you are in. It doesn't know about timezones. Timezones are politically-contrived borders and have little to do with location. Also, they are subject to change. So, GPS being a global system works on a global time system, UTC (derived from GPS time, as I said).

I guess that the timestamps are UTC, which is derived from GPS time. Your TT does not know, or indeed care, what timezone you are in. It doesn't know about timezones. Timezones are politically-contrived borders and have little to do with location. Also, they are subject to change. So, GPS being a global system works on a global time system, UTC (derived from GPS time, as I said).

So the TT is stuck on UTC... ok; I saw Casablanca in there somewhere but maybe that is UTC too. :)

[Yep, same as London, GMT AND UTC]

Exactly. But I don't really see why it should be a problem. You can set the 'visible' clock to local time.

But, the internal timestamps used for GPS positioning must use GPS time. Change the system clock on a receiver and it will no longer be able to fix your position. That is why you cant change the GPS system clock.

FYI, GMT has not officially existed for a very long time, being replaced by UTC.

Exactly. But I don't really see why it should be a problem. You can set the 'visible' clock to local time.

But, the internal timestamps used for GPS positioning must use GPS time. Change the system clock on a receiver and it will no longer be able to fix your position. That is why you cant change the GPS system clock.

OK, that makes sense. When I first noticed the time stamping I didn't equate it to UTC but thought it close...

FYI, GMT has not officially existed for a very long time, being replaced by UTC.

"Civil time in the UK is legally (but not practically) still based on astronomical GMT, not UTC."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

The reason for the 'Mean' in GMT was interesting and helps explain the use of UTC.

"Civil time in the UK is legally (but not practically) still based on astronomical GMT, not UTC."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time
True, because UK law is often hundreds of years behind current reality. Hell, the English are stupid enough to believe that they have not joined the EU yet, and that they have a choice about it! Though in the rest of the solar system...

"On 1 January 1972, GMT was replaced as the international time reference by Coordinated Universal Time, maintained by an ensemble of atomic clocks around the world." (From the same Wikipedia page you quoted.)

What I realy miss is automatic Time Zone setting. I live in the US - and use it on my travels for in my rental cars - and it is so stupid that you have to set he time again and again. Also when your destination is in a different TZ the ETA is off. I've suggested TomTom to implement this feature, but got only a stupid reply back that it wouldn't fit in the memory. As the two units I have (TT One v3 and TT 730) both have SD cards - is thi argument doesn't seem plausible.

Ask a Question