Services didn't transfer to RMA unit

Received my RMA unit today (one week after I shipped the bad one back) and was able to download maps and Fuel Prices, and My Services tells me that Traffic and Fuel are both active. However, Traffic told me I was starting a trial subscriptino today, and Fuel tells me I need to sign up.

I've called TT and they supposedly reset my account, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Unforturnatly thats the only good choice.. You can at the same time also send an email to tech support with this problem. Anyway good luck

Go to the preferences -> myTomtom account

Then re-login. If Tomtom recently set up the services on your new account, this step requeries the Tomtom server to activate them.

Well, I think I have the fuel part set up.

I went into "show what's on my computer" and re-installed the fuel application (not the data files) and it appears to be working now.

However, traffic still gives me a message saying my promo has been activated.

"promo has been activated" is the normal message I see the first time I set up traffic data. So i think you successfully set up traffic, too.

Check your services in the tomtom's services menu. (I forget the specific icon). It will tell you all your subscribed services and their expiration dates.

So the "Promo" message will appear even though I have a valid subscription?

Well, now it appears the servers are down. I get the "TomTOm account validated" message when I try to log in from the Account option in the Config menus, but when trying to show weather it hands with the spinning spokes for about 10 minutes. The phone and data connection are good since it validated me, but I can't pull any info. :(

Yes, the Tomtom calls every traffic activation a "promo". As long as your expiration date is fine on the services list screen (again i forget the specific icon) then you're fine. It should only pop up the promo screen the first time you put it your email/password.

I had no problem with the servers an hour ago. f you have good cell reception try a pin reset to see if the data comes back.

It came back early yesterday afternoon and worked throughout the night, but this morning I had the same issues. It validates my TomTom account (which shows my data connection is good) but I get hung pulling weather or traffic. I click weather and it appears to connect to the server, and then gives me the location selection menu. I select a location and then it hangs.

I reaaaly wish I could find the IP of their servers.

A few ideas:
1) unpair and re-pair the phone and choose cingular mediaworks when it asks for a data connection, instead of the custom wap.cingular gateway. I don't know if AT&T has this issue, but in t-mobile the wap gateway is horribly unreliable (works 5% of the time). Choosing Tmobile from the menu uses a different, more reliable gateway.

2) are you on the phone when this happens? If you're using a 2G phone, the data will cut off while you make a call. This unexpected data cutoff actually crashes the Tomtom if there are active traffic incidents on your route.

3) app 8.351 has unstable handsfree calling, that crashes the bluetooth drivers after 1-2 days. Either do a pin reset whenever this happens, or downgrade to the more stable app 8.302

1) Did that. I'm on T-Mo with my Blackberry so I can't use a Cingular gateway. I didn't have issues before a few days ago. I also tried a friend's Motorola V3 on AT&T and it had some issues as well. Since I'm able to get my TT account authenticated, I don't think it's a network issue. However, I am using wap.voicestream.com since internet2.voicestream.com seems to not work for some reason.

2) It's a EDGE connection, so I know it won't work with concurrent voice/data. :( But, it's paid for by work. Unlimited data and a pool of 75000 minutes. :)

3) I've come accross that issue before. What would I lose going to 8.302?

Weather seems to work fine today, but I'm getting an Error Code 1001 on traffic instead of just a generic failure message.

So the root cause of your problem is wap.voicestream.com. It should never be used, as it is not supposed to support data. They block all traffic to anything other than the wap gateway, but their block is broken in some areas (like yours) where data gets through 5-25% of the time.

I'm sure that wap.voicestream.com is the root cause of your traffic issues.

Try blackberry.voicestream.com (the blackberry-specific Tmobile apn), or try internet3.voicestream.com (the encrypted apn for corporate accounts). One of these should work.

If you still have issues, call Tmobile, ask to be transferred to level3 data support, and tell them you need the proper apn configuration for tethering to the blackberry. They may be able to reprovision your internet2.voicestream.com connection too. The techs at level3 support are awesome - the best I have ever encountered in a large consumer tech company.

Also, The biggest loss of a downgrade is to app 8.302 is that the FM transmitter will no longer transmit spoken directions.

Last edited:
Apparently, all the old APN names are being retired. The new "one size fits all" APN is epc.tmobile.com

What are the T-Mobile GPRS / EDGE network settings for any handset / device

I tried the new one and re-paired. Everything worked during the pairing and I got the message about "send you anonymous data". I did the "My TomTom Account" and it was able to get logged in. Still hanging on traffic and weather.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... epc.voicestream.com used to be the "bandwidth saving" apn, that compresses images on the fly. I hope they don't do that for all communications now in attempts to cheaply save money on their unlimited plans. Imagine using a laptop to download/upload digital photos to costco and/or walgreens and having crap quality printed because tmo silently compressed.

For me (at least this morning), internet2.voicestream.com still works. I'll call tmobile tier3 and get the scoop on this if I can find the time later today...

Maybe it warrants a backup of your map, then a reformat and reinstall of everything.

If that doesn't help, refurbs carry a 6-month warranty - tell Tomtom to ship a new one.

But I'd still recommend finding a way for Tmo to get the standard internet2.voicestream.com working first.

Ok, this is really strange.

I paired a V3 on AT&T with it (Cingular MediaNet) and it works. Then I go to the Blackberry on TMo again and it works. It will continue to work on the Blackberry until it does a hard reset, such as he type of reset when it connects to your computer). it's almost like it's not completing the initial connection that it needs when using the 'berry on TMo.

REALLY strange.

So it's a problem with the t-mo connection? A hard reset works fine with the razr & AT&T?

I still recommend trying blackberry, internet2, or internet3 gateways for T-mobile.

The wap gateway drops data far too often, and the epc gateway (at least previously) compresses images and you never know what valid data it may intercept and change.

I've never had free time when tmo tech support is open, so I haven't been able to get the scoop on your epc post yet.

I tried both internet2 and internet3. TMo won't talk to me without a security code since it's a corporate account, so i'm going to talk to our admin monday and try to get the security code. Going to use the excuse I was trying to log in to work on an issue via Tether but couldn't. :)

The strange thing is that TMo works after I establish a connection with AT&T. I wonder if there is some sort of initial handshake that has to take place that is failing on TMo, but after it works on the AT&T connection the TMo connection works.

Ask a Question