Sent my unit in for repair/replacement

I have to say that the service arm of TomTom seems to be right on top of things.

Sent it in per their instructions and had it back in just about 2 weeks.
Very good turn around time and service level.

A couple of things though ...

When I got it back, it needed to be updated. This could have been a matter of timing, but it seemed to be a little strange to me.
Also, I noticed that the unit itself seemed to have a little different/less functionality to it ... like things had been removed in the s/w.
For example, it no longer detects loss of power and auto shuts down. It is a little thing, but a big time annoyance as it is always in my car!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and if so, what to do about it.

I am installing the latest of everything right now, so we'll see if anything changes.

Also ... one huge pet peeve of mine that I have developed.

Since getting the TT unit back, it doesn't seem to like connecting to my Motorola V510 phone.
Before sending it in, I had to sync them up once ...

Now, every time they talk to each other, I have to verify on the phone that I want it connected to the TT and put in the password.

ARGH!!!

Now, every time they talk to each other, I have to verify on the phone that I want it connected to the TT and put in the password. ARGH!!!

On your TT delete the phone and on the phone delete the TT. Re-pair the phone from the TT. On your phone, look for the function "authorize device" and you should have no longer have this problem.

Of course now I am getting this ...

"Unable to store settings.
File access error"

So it really doesn't matter what I do.

And yes, I have tried restoring the unit .. made no difference.
But since the restore feature doesn't format the card, it really won't do anything.

Can I format the card outside of TT Home and the do a restore?
Would that work?

I am just about at my wits end with this thing ... when it works, it is great.
The rest of the time it just seems to annoy the hell out of me!

Thanks bud ... I hope you are right because it is reinstalling now. ;)

It is taking MUCH longer than a standard restore .... I'm assuming that is because there is nothing on the card any longer.

We'll see what difference that makes.

And as if things weren't bad enough, it froze last night (as in stopped responding).
I held the power button down and it finally rebooted ... only to come up and tell me the maps had never been activated.
Checked all the codes and instructions this morning ... and it wouldn't accept the activation code from TT. :mad:

Hopefully the format will address this too.

I'm getting quite tired of this ... I like the thing, but this is just too much!

And as if things weren't bad enough, it froze last night (as in stopped responding).
I held the power button down and it finally rebooted ... only to come up and tell me the maps had never been activated.
Checked all the codes and instructions this morning ... and it wouldn't accept the activation code from TT. :mad:

Hopefully the format will address this too.

I'm getting quite tired of this ... I like the thing, but this is just too much!
You may want to give a shot at downloading and running the Clear flash tool from here:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=Clear+Flash+tool&FID=6211

Some of your symptoms sound similar to those the tool is supposed to fix.

Good call ... I was still getting the error after.

That appears to have cleared it up ... thanks very much! :D

OK ... that also seemed to resolve the connection issue I was having with my phone (needing the password every time - makes sense if it wasn't able to save the info).

My fingers are crossed ... I'll be testing this thing out as much as possible in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I assumed that you had tried the flash tool. There are a bunch of steps that you could have tried before re-installing.

Anyway, once all this is done, it'll work well. I went through a similar exercise and the TomTom has been trouble-free since.

Good luck.

I have to say that the service arm of TomTom seems to be right on top of things.

Sent it in per their instructions and had it back in just about 2 weeks.
Very good turn around time and service level.

A couple of things though ...

When I got it back, it needed to be updated. This could have been a matter of timing, but it seemed to be a little strange to me.
Also, I noticed that the unit itself seemed to have a little different/less functionality to it ... like things had been removed in the s/w.
For example, it no longer detects loss of power and auto shuts down. It is a little thing, but a big time annoyance as it is always in my car!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing and if so, what to do about it.

I am installing the latest of everything right now, so we'll see if anything changes.

I just got my 910 back. The unit I got back was not the same one I sent in. So now I'm dealing with trying to get North American maps to show up in the list so that I can use it.

I had no idea that they would send back a different unit, so now I have to go back and try to get every thing set back the way I had it; POIs, favorites etc. all missing and of course the backup I made before sending mine in won't work with the exchanged unit, I even tried to change the Backup Info.ini.

It would be nice if they had copied over the harddrive or something. So now I get to spend who-knows-how-much-time searching out the answers I need.

OK ... that also seemed to resolve the connection issue I was having with my phone (needing the password every time - makes sense if it wasn't able to save the info).

My fingers are crossed ... I'll be testing this thing out as much as possible in the next couple of days.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Everything is working as it should ... I remember now why I choose the unit in the first place. ;)

Thanks for all the help.

So ... these things just seem to have a mind of their own I'm finding ...

Everything works great on my TT510 so far ... except that it will not auto switch back and forth between day and night mode any more.

Does this fun ever end? :confused:

Everything works great on my TT510 so far ... except that it will not auto switch back and forth between day and night mode any more.

I'm assuming that you have the auto-switch preference set.
If so, try resetting the device with a pin.
If that doesn't work, try the clear flash tool.

Now that I have my car back, I will play with it over the next couple of days and see if it was just a setting that was off or not.

Thanks.

I'm assuming that you have the auto-switch preference set.
If so, try resetting the device with a pin.
If that doesn't work, try the clear flash tool.

One more thing - if it is not attached to the car mount - it will not switch. A friend with a 510 drove herself nuts until we mounted it - then it worked fine.

Ask a Question