searching a POI without knowing the city

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one XL
As the title says i was searching for a popular POI but without knowing the exact city it was in it became quite frustrating was i doing something wrong?

in case anyone was wondering i was looking for Canada's wonderland and i knew it was in Toronto but what i did not know it was in the city of Maple I only figured that out by going on the internet; but what if i was on the road and wanted to go there...i guess i would of been screwed?

I seemed to find it easily by doing the following:

Browse Map
Find
Point of Interest
POI in city
Canada / Toronto
Search
Wonderland

14.4 miles Paramount canada's wonderland...

Yup that's the one...I'm fighting a losing battle! OK anyone want to let me in on the tips because I cant find it on my 1XL. Gilbert does it give the # or just Old Finch Ave?

Thanks

I've got the GO 920 POI and did the search. Is it the one on Old Finch Ave, close to Sewells Rd in Scarborough, tel.: 416-392-5900?
That is the service entrance (6.0 km from my present loacation). Parking lot and visitor entrance are on Meadowvale Rd. (5.1 km from here).
Navigate to... > Point of interest > Point near you > Any point category > "Zoo" > OK
Navigate to... > Point of interest > Point in city > Any point category > "Toronto" > "Zoo" > OK

That is the service entrance (6.0 km from my present loacation). Parking lot and visitor entrance are on Meadowvale Rd. (5.1 km from here).
Navigate to... > Point of interest > Point near you > Any point category > "Zoo" > OK
Navigate to... > Point of interest > Point in city > Any point category > "Toronto" > "Zoo" > OK

Tried both of those none got me the Toronto Zoo... this is driving me crazy!

You have a one right? sounds to me like you don't have the large poi database provided in the 920.

Go here and download this poi database. should have everything you need.

unzip the two files and copy them to the map folder on your unit replacing the two files already there. Use a file manager to do the copy, not home.

post #64

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

you need a one with a 2g sd card as these files are much larger.

Yup that's the one...I'm fighting a losing battle! OK anyone want to let me in on the tips because I cant find it on my 1XL. Gilbert does it give the # or just Old Finch Ave?

Thanks

I think it's pretty simple.
He got it because he owns the GO920, you don't because you have the ONEXL.
Think about it as GO920 has 5 million POIs while ONE has 1 million POIs.

I think it's pretty simple.
He got it because he owns the GO920, you don't because you have the ONEXL.
Think about it as GO920 has 5 million POIs while ONE has 1 million POIs.

That makes sense. I do have a 2GB card in my one so if i can fit these POI on it i will.

You have a one right? sounds to me like you don't have the large poi database provided in the 920.

unzip the two files and copy them to the map folder on your unit replacing the two files already there. Use a file manager to do the copy, not home.

post #64

Can you tell me where that link is supposed to go? It doesn't load any page for me. Or rather it loads a blank page.

Rick

post #64

Tried this tonight did not work it copied over but did not increase POI's I did notice that this came with 2 files and on the one xl it only had the one file in the folder so i copied over both anyways but no luck, anyone else try this?

or did i do something wrong?

You did nothing wrong. I have both files on my one. sorry it didn't include canada's wonderland, but believe me, you now have thousand and thousands more POI's on your system.

You did nothing wrong. I have both files on my one. sorry it didn't include canada's wonderland, but believe me, you now have thousand and thousands more POI's on your system.

Was this file in total 2GB or close to? I switched to a 4GB SD and still have like ~3GB left. Still did not pop up the Metro Toronto Zoo, Wonderland yes, zoo no.

Was this file in total 2GB or close to? I switched to a 4GB SD and still have like ~3GB left. Still did not pop up the Metro Toronto Zoo, Wonderland yes, zoo no.

the two files unzipped equal about 475 megs. with the operating system, maps and these two files, my unit shows about 1.6 megs used. that includes some downloaded ov2 files as well.

I have gone to megaupload again and had no problems this time and downloaded your file.
After opening I found it to be slightly smaller than the one that came with my 805.1801 NA map for my 930.

you have the latest database. excellent. :)

deleted the posts.....

OK went back and tried again. I guess I just had slow connection. I waited for a while this time on an empty screen and the staus bar said done, but it still was another minute before anything popped up on screen. This was actually the forum thread that I imagine it was sorting through.

I"ll check these out once GPS gets back.

Thanks
Rick

Ask a Question