SD memory

The tomtom new edition only supports 2GB.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_us.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7957

Some people have been successful reading up to 8GB by copying newer tomtom SD-reader software onto it. But the process is unauthorized (voids any warranty) and is irreversible.

If you want to try it, copy the "system" file from the root of the tomtom 630 software below onto the root of your unit (overwrite the existing file):

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.016.9380.go630.cab

Again, if this breaks your tomtom, it's irreversible.

That particular unit uses a 2 gig card ; some people have managed to use 4 gig cards but they are make specific , I believe that the Transcend 4 gig will work for you ; if you do a search there should be some information in this regards .

I'm not trying to be contrary or picky here, but the link above, while supplying great information about the types of cards supported (MMC, SD, or SDHC) by the various units, and the size of internal memory provided with the various units, does nothing to address the maximum size of external cards supported, SD or otherwise, by any of the units...

...unless one makes the assumption that the maximum allowable size of any external card matches the size of the provided internal memory...is this a valid assumption? It would certainly be desirable for any of the units to support cards at least up to the size of the internal memory provided, but the limiter would have to be the application/firmware of a particular unit, something (along with maximum card size) that the link above doesn't address.

Ray :)

Last edited:
I believe there are a few guys who have successfully used the few 4GB non SDHC cards available, without mods. The key here is to not use SDHC format cards....and only a couple of manufacturers make these in 4GB format.

I've covered this topic many times in the past so I'll be short. One models, with the SD slot, can easily read data on SD/SDHC cards but writing is usually a different matter. When dealing with any non-small files, you should use a proper SD/SDHC adapter. If you don't, you are more than likely going to find corrupted files and/or FAT tables. When all files are transfered from internal memory to the SDHC card, Home will treat your SDHC card as if it were internal memory and will be able to install your QuickFix, MapShare updates as well as install POIs, languages and whatever without problem provided you use a proper SDHC adaptor. If you still want to use the SDHC card in the TT slot when your unit is linked with the USB cable, expect problems to occur...

I've covered this topic many times in the past so I'll be short. One models, with the SD slot, can easily read data on SD/SDHC cards but writing is usually a different matter. When dealing with any non-small files, you should use a proper SD/SDHC adapter. If you don't, you are more than likely going to find corrupted files and/or FAT tables. When all files are transfered from internal memory to the SDHC card, Home will treat your SDHC card as if it were internal memory and will be able to install your QuickFix, MapShare updates as well as install POIs, languages and whatever without problem provided you use a proper SDHC adaptor. If you still want to use the SDHC card in the TT slot when your unit is linked with the USB cable, expect problems to occur...

hmmmm, I did not know that a non SDHC device could easily read SDHC cards, and writing is the only issue - but normal operation of the device includes writing to the card, so where does that leave us? Surely saving map points, favorites, POIs, switching maps, changing preferences, etc all write updates to the file system, which on the One 2nd Edition is entirely on the card when the card is used - and thus potentially and likely causes a data corruption issue on the SDHC card?

I'm really not trying to be a dickhead here, as I'd love to be wrong and buy a nice, fat 4GB or 8GB SDHC for my old TT1 2nd Edition.....so am I wrong in this assumption?

hmmmm, I did not know that a non SDHC device could easily read SDHC cards, and writing is the only issue - but normal operation of the device includes writing to the card, so where does that leave us? Surely saving map points, favorites, POIs, switching maps, changing preferences, etc all write updates to the file system, which on the One 2nd Edition is entirely on the card when the card is used - and thus potentially and likely causes a data corruption issue on the SDHC card?

I'm really not trying to be a dickhead here, as I'd love to be wrong and buy a nice, fat 4GB or 8GB SDHC for my old TT1 2nd Edition.....so am I wrong in this assumption?

I hate repeating myself over and over so you can do an advanced search with my name and TopRam and get more details with performance results etc.

I have been using two SDHC cards: 4GB TopRam and 8GB PNY on my TT ONE XL-S for the past year. I did many tests on the TopRam but not yet on the PNY. On the 4GB TopRam, the TT unit has been writing correctly to it in all my tests particularly screen dumps because they are rather large files and that was my worry. Whenever I go out with the TT, the SDHC card is in the TT so it did get extensive use.

The problems I experienced occured only when using Home to update the TT while linked with the ONE USB cable. Not so much with the QuickFix but the MapShare updates and any rather large files (>100KB). I could repeatedly get file corruption/FAT table problems but NOT so when using the SDHC adapter. For Home, if your system files are on the SDHC card, it treats it as if it were the internal memory.

When I got the PNY 8GB SDHC card, I also updated the BootLoader (system file) to a newer version but have yet to do extensive testing such as getting TT to write to addresses > 4GB on it. To do this, I would need to write large files and then ensuring I have more than 4GB of written data and get it to do screen dumps. I simply did not get around to do it yet.

thanks.

I will stick to the SD cards for any extended trips out in the middle of nowhere. May try an SDHC card around town.

I always keep my internal memory as updated as can be so if my SDHC card goes wrong, I can always rely on internal memory. So far no need to use it even if I gave it a lots of work. When I came back from to Quebec city last September, I decided to use the old scenic road beside the St-Laurence river for a good part so I could visit one of my ancestors' small town of Deschaillons and, because of road repairs, left the main road for small country roads and it got a good load of recalculating the route. After leaving Deschaillons, I did not follow the TT route and just went in the direction I felt would lead me onto the TC highway just exploring those out of the way places. It did get a good workout and didn't fail.

I always keep my internal memory as updated as can be so if my SDHC card goes wrong, I can always rely on internal memory. So far no need to use it even if I gave it a lots of work. When I came back from to Quebec city last September, I decided to use the old scenic road beside the St-Laurence river for a good part so I could visit one of my ancestors' small town of Deschaillons and, because of road repairs, left the main road for small country roads and it got a good load of recalculating the route. After leaving Deschaillons, I did not follow the TT route and just went in the direction I felt would lead me onto the TC highway just exploring those out of the way places. It did get a good workout and didn't fail.

That's good to know, Gilbert, thanks.

BTW, on a different topic, I've just installed Event Logger on my ancient One 2nd Ed. and man, that utility is so cool!

I'd purchased a separate hardware GPS logger on amazon a few days ago, and now I feel I don't need it, with the built-in logging that the EL running on my TT1 is now giving me. I'm using the EL GPX logs to automatically geo-tag my pics on my adventure touring motorcycle rides, and it syncs the pics up with these logs so nicely, for spatial referencing of my pics on google maps, etc - very cool for blogging my ride reports with pics on the actual route.

Can we keep this thread on topic of sd cards, please. Feel free to start another one in third party software for Event Logger. Thanks for your understanding.

Ask a Question