SD cards and Maps

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
OK here is my question just purchased the new maps NA v710 1.7gb (2gb) I did this through the United Kingdom website everything went smooth it shows up in the new account that I created. I also purchased the Western Europe maps v710 930.8 MB (1gb).

Here is my delema

1. I have a 2gb memory card and both will not fit on the card. Will the tomtom v2 accept a 4gb card?

2. Can I put the NA maps on the 2 gb card and will this fit with all of the other aplications that will be on the card?

3. Will the Western Euprope fit on the internal memory or should I purchase another 2gb card? I would like to just use a 4gb cad if this method will work?

Just not to sure what I will need I do know to stay away from the SDHC cards as I have heard that there are problems with those cards. Thanks for any help.

Steve

2GB is the recommended maximum, since that is the theoretical limit for the SD format of memory cards. Anything you see out there that claim to be 4GB SD cards (not SDHC) are not conforming to the industry standard SD format and will most likely result in tears (lost data, file corruption, etc.) since they are cheaply made counterfeits.

Your European map should fit on the internal memory and work fine with no card in the slot.

install the North American AND system files to the sd card and boot from the card when using these maps. Just remove the card and boot from the internal memory to use the european map.

both the internal memory and sd card will need the system files along with the appropriate map.

Your European map should fit on the internal memory and work fine with no card in the slot.

install the North American AND system files to the sd card and boot from the card when using these maps. Just remove the card and boot from the internal memory to use the european map.

both the internal memory and sd card will need the system files along with the appropriate map.

Ok that will work for me I wasn't sure if the Europe map would fit on the internal card, My 2gb is already being used I just need to remove the us-canada maps..thanks :)

Steve

Talked to tomtom about doing the update for my maps. The tech guy said to manualy remove the us-canada folder instead of removing it using the home v2. My question is this there is a folder that says us_canada I know that I need to remove this. There is also a us_and_canada_08c39cd5 all by itself it is by itself on the system not in the folder and it is a MDS file 1kb in size do I need also remove this? What about the the gaum folder remove this also too?

Steve

I read about a 4 gb "Topram" brand SD card on another GPS forum. I found one and bought it on Ebay. Tested for almost 3 weeks now and works perfect so far.

Cheers JR

I would remove all of those files, as they are obviously related to the old map. (By the way, copy them to your hard drive for safe keeping, at least until you know that the new map is up and running correctly.)

I think the Guam map is a good candidate for the trash bin.

I would remove all of those files, as they are obviously related to the old map. (By the way, copy them to your hard drive for safe keeping, at least until you know that the new map is up and running correctly.)

I think the Guam map is a good candidate for the trash bin.

Yep I backed it up twice already, lol. Onece on a external HD and one o my cp. Who knows more than likely I may go diving there................more than likely not though so It may go to the trash can, lol. thanks for the advice.

Steve

Ok everything worked out great. I put the NA maps on a 2gb card bootted up my tomtom and everything works great. I then put the Western Europe maps on another 2gb card and that works great also....Now wenever I am in Europe I will just swap cards. I left the us_Canada maps on the internal memory as one would never know if the card went bad and I will use this as my backup (o:. Thanks to the forums here this made doing this very easy.

Steve

OK here is my question just purchased the new maps NA v710 1.7gb (2gb) I did this through the United Kingdom website everything went smooth it shows up in the new account that I created. I also purchased the Western Europe maps v710 930.8 MB (1gb).

Here is my delema

1. I have a 2gb memory card and both will not fit on the card. Will the tomtom v2 accept a 4gb card?

2. Can I put the NA maps on the 2 gb card and will this fit with all of the other aplications that will be on the card?

3. Will the Western Euprope fit on the internal memory or should I purchase another 2gb card? I would like to just use a 4gb cad if this method will work?

Just not to sure what I will need I do know to stay away from the SDHC cards as I have heard that there are problems with those cards. Thanks for any help.

Steve

Even though you can use a 4GB card, TomTom recommends just 2GB...however, 4GB will work...where I ran into issues though is when I tried putting 2 maps on a 4GB card (NA + Europe)...that didn't work...for some reason it picked up the original NA maps...so I ended up leaving one map on the unit and putting the other on a 2GB SD...just flip-flop when I need to

Even though you can use a 4GB card, TomTom recommends just 2GB...however, 4GB will work...where I ran into issues though is when I tried putting 2 maps on a 4GB card (NA + Europe)...that didn't work...for some reason it picked up the original NA maps...so I ended up leaving one map on the unit and putting the other on a 2GB SD...just flip-flop when I need to

Yep that is basicaly what I did just now I use 2 2gb cards and will swap them out as needed. :D

Steve

I just received my first GPS recently (TT ONE XL-S) and have a quick question. I want to know if I can make a copy of the maps into a SD to place POI files and keep at the same time the originals in the GPS. If so, you mentioned that you need to have system files with appropriate maps on the SD. Which files are the ones considered system files? Thanks.

Ask a Question