SD card with usa map on it not recognized ?

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom one v1
I Have a tom tom one, and I purchased a USA map from ebay with the product card. Backed up map and used 2gb sd card. When I load the card into my Tom Tom I keep getting a red cross on a SD card on the tom tom screen, I also loaded on the original Card with the map on it and I keep getting the same problem,does anybody have any idea
off to florida in a weeks time need to sort it out

Thankyou

Beyond the eBay issue, which we'll get to later, I'm completely confused. The info under your name shows "Tom Tom one v1".

The ONE v1 has no SD card slot. It has 1GB of internal memory.
The ONE 2nd Edition runs exclusively FROM the SD card (no internal memory).
The ONE Limited Edition has 1GB of internal memory and an SD slot as well.
The ONE 3rd Edition has no SD card slot. It has 1GB of internal memory (or 512MB for certain regional models like the UK version).

Can you give us the first two characters of the serial number of your unit so we can start from the right place?

Last edited:
I have a TomTom one v1.21 and it has 1 GB internal space and a SD slot. I upgraded bootloader to 5.5122 by removing the original 5.3029 and pasting 5.5122 system file and rebooted to upgrade so the device can now read the larger SDHC (4 GB) I think it can read up to 16 GB SDHC, default was 2 GB SD. What is the latest version USA Canada map that I can use on this device? Currently running USA Canada v705.1481. Also, what version Navcor should I run? I updated the software to newest version from TomTom Home

Last edited:
@havanail
Have never heard of a ONE 1.21.
Please advise the first two characters of the serial number of your unit.

As for maps, we're up to version 900 at the moment. Your map is almost as old as my grandson:lol: Seriously, that one is many years old, and there are v900 maps for it. May as well wait a couple of weeks until 905 comes out, though.

As for Navcore, now that you've fiddled the bootloader, it's hard to say. First, I would need those first to characters of the serial number to be sure what it is you actually have there. On the whole, an actual ONE V1 ended at 7.903. A ONE 3rd (aka ONE Classic) ended at 8.016. There were a bunch of ONE models. Help us out and we'll see what's what. A ONE "Limited Edition" (serial number starts with "Z1") would have an SD card slot in addition to 1GB internal memory. That's probably what you own.

Yes, I know it is probably about ten or so years old, just don't remember how long we have had it. The serial tag is rubbed off enough it is hard to read, but I am sure the first digits Z1 and I think the next are 2337G02825. Our kid's bought that for us and don't remember but is was a special edition supposedly sold by only one major retailer (don't remember which) but our daughter bought it new online somewhere but not the retailer.

I have used TomTom home to reposition the satellites and also did the upgrade (update my One)

I didn't have a 2 GB SD, I did have some 4 GB SDHC, and I wanted to get newer maps ( I also wanted red light speed camera and brands) and the original bootloader (5.3029) didn't support the larger SDHC so I downloaded 5.5112, and replaced the old file (named system) with the new and when I restarted the unit it upgraded the bootloader and it now reads the 4 GB SDHC. I verified the new bootloader by going to show version on preferences on page 7 and it indeed has boot 5.5122 and map v705.1481. I also got the ttgo bif file and opened it with wordpad and found this information verifing serial number and versions:

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v4)
DeviceSerialNumber=Z12337G02825
DeviceUniqueID=AKWAU AAGRJ
RamDiskVersion=20081205
BootLoaderVersion=55122
LinuxVersion=2344
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7903
ApplicationVersion=9183
UserLanguage=English US
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion=
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=2
CurrentVoiceInfo=Mandy
CurrentHomeLocation=40.29411,-90.06133
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
ValueRatio=BucXQkrxp2TgmPxKqA==

I just needed to know version of latest map update that is supported by this machine, and what navcore to use with the newer maps. I like this old tomtom but needed newer maps and tomtom upgrade price was $59.95 for me so I bought a newer garmin nuvi with 5 inch screen and lifetime updates and updated to map 2013. I did not like it at all and gave it to my grandson who loves it, so now I am back to buying tomtom maps but tomtom does not tell what version their newer maps and navcore are. I've seen on forums some people have problems to get upgrades going, and wanted to avoid problems caused by improper version installation. I have updated 4 older Garmins for friends and family that did not have free map updates and I just got the 2013 map and loaded it on a 4 GB SDHC, insert that in the card slot and it immediately started running the new map and just taking out the card it then runs the older map program which is good if the SDHC card fails during a trip, and wondered if this tomtom works the same way.

Last edited:
I apparently didn't write that clearly enough, many people know that and say it the same way I did, tomtom home can find the locations of satellites and put that information on your gps so it can locate the satellites quicker (if you haven't done that lately it takes a lot longer to start navigation). As Super Moderator you should know that.

It's that dry, British wit that bites you every time, Andy. I think we're more attuned to Fawlty Towers here :lol:

Ask a Question