SD card usage

Have read post and what little comes with the TomTom One on SD cards. (not much)
I plan on getting a 2 gig. Can you use it just for storage of routes and load them into memory as needed? And also could they be used with GE and Tyre. Like save the files from Tyre on them and then load them into the TomTom?
Or is it required to load the complete map and operating system onto it.

Or is it required to load the complete map and operating system onto it.

Yes. It's an either/or system. When you insert the SD card, you no longer have access to the built-in memory. The unit cannot use the built-in maps AND access info from the SD card.

To be clear here, we are talking about the new TT ONE v4.

Ok, now I got my 2 gig card. All the post seem to tell of loading it with the DVD. I have no DVD and Home says I have the latest maps. How do I go about getting the maps US & canada and the operating system on to the 2 gig SD card.

Just drag and drop the contents of the internal memory onto the SD card.

Now the question I don't know the answer to is this: when you connect the TT to the computer, can you see BOTH the internal memory AND the SD card in Windows Explorer? If not, then you will have to use a card reader.

Now the question I don't know the answer to is this: when you connect the TT to the computer, can you see BOTH the internal memory AND the SD card in Windows Explorer? If not, then you will have to use a card reader.

I think I can answer that. When connecting my 510 to the computer I can only see it on the E: drive, almost like a portable hard drive. I cannot see the SD card alone.

I will have this same question because I have a 1 gig card now and and I want to updated to a 2 gig card and will need to move all my info to the new card.

Yes, my sentiments too, except my TT One unit had an SD Card which wasn't even formatted. How that got by quality control surprises me!

I think I would rather have a unit with the 20G memory which is upgradable from the TT Web site..Am I correct in assuming this??

RB

Couldn't you actually just do a back up of your entire TomTom 510 using explorer then put the new SD card in and dump the files onto it then?

hmmm.....

I don't have an SD card reader so how am I going to get all the info onto the new SD card since my computer see's the TomTom as one device?

Guess I could buy an external SD card reader, use it to do the deal and then return it. mmmmmuuuuuuhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! :)

Ok, now I got my 2 gig card. All the post seem to tell of loading it with the DVD. I have no DVD and Home says I have the latest maps. How do I go about getting the maps US & canada and the operating system on to the 2 gig SD card.

Follow Fanchee's written tutorial found here. It's pretty easy to do. I didn't need a card reader.

R Bell, sorry to hear about your SD card. Did you get this solved? I would exchange it for another return the unit for a full refund and purchase the 910 if you want the 20G space.

Follow Fanchee's written tutorial found here. It's pretty easy to do. I didn't need a card reader.

R Bell, sorry to hear about your SD card. Did you get this solved? I would exchange it for another return the unit for a full refund and purchase the 910 if you want the 20G space.

Thanks Pedro.

Is a SanDisk 2 GIG Secure Digital SD 2 GB Memory Card 2GB a good card?

We're not committed yet, since the wife bought it on QVC...It goes back on Monday. I'm kicking around the TT 910 and the Garmin Street Pilot C530...

I haven't the foggiest idea about the SD Cards, and which is best...One with the card or one like the TT910...Appreciate some feedback on this from all of you who have owned GPS's...This will be my first one.

I will tell you this...I took the SD card out of the Kodak camera where I work, and shoved it into the TT One and was able to boot it up and put in the date, hehehe...

That is why I'm shell shot over these units with SD Cards...It seems you need these cards to work before you can even boot the unit up..Not a good design in my book...I think all of these should have internal memory for their primary source...

But what would I do if I get the TT910 and the 20 Gig HD malfunctions? Guess I'm blown out of the water too right?

RB

Referring back to my original post. When I opened up the TT One and followed the instructions, and where it said I had to answer a few simple questions. Heck, I couldn't even get it to go that far...The box says, "Plug And Go" In my case, "Plug And Get Mad"

I sure hate to spend $500.00 on a GPS and find I have issues with it. I hope that isn't the case with whatever I end up getting.

Basically, as of now we have decided not to replace the TT One with another one. We will upgrade to the TT 910, or go Garin depending on what you guys recommend. I highly value your opinions!

Thanks to All, in Advance...Now, help me decide!! :D

Thanks Pedro.

Is a SanDisk 2 GIG Secure Digital SD 2 GB Memory Card 2GB a good card?
I'm not an expert on SD cards, but I haven't heard any problems with that card.
This is what I'm using on my ONE with NA maps.

With my 910, I do like the 20G space. I have many POIs on my unit and they all display on the map without the unit responding slow.

Last edited:
I don't understand why these GPS companies do not preload all these maps into a hard drive. That way you can at least enter the set-up and set your time etc...on the unit, like your digital camera which used stored memory, and a chip.

With the TT One if the new chip is empty or corrupt like mine was, the unit will not even start up!

RB

I got all the data on the new SanDisk 2 gig card, just hooked the Tomtom up by usb, pluged the card in th computer SD slot. Showed both, so just draged and droped.
Worked great,

What if you don't have a SD card slot on your computer? :(

Just copy the entire conects of the SD card to you hard drive when you connect your TT device to the computer.

Then put the new 2GB SD card in the device and connect to your computer. Then copy the the local files to the SD card.

Just copy the entire conects of the SD card to you hard drive when you connect your TT device to the computer.

Then put the new 2GB SD card in the device and connect to your computer. Then copy the the local files to the SD card.

On the 510, does the SD card hold EVERYTHING? In other words, if I do a FULL back up using explorer and just copy all those files onto the new SD card it should work?

Ask a Question