SD Card Upgrade?

Hello all,

I just purchased a TomTom One and was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the SD Card? It comes with a 1 gig SD card preloaded with US and Canada but get's filled up quickly. Would any SD card work as long as I copy the entire original data to a 2 or 4 gig SD Card?

Thanks in Advance!
Peter:)

Hello Peter!
I'm not sure how it works, but I believe you make a backup from your original card and restore it on a new card.

I moved a freinds 510 application over to a 2 Gig card that way- no issues. Update your unit (if you have not doen so recently) and then do a backup. Restore it on the new card. Should work fine. Hav not tried a 4 gig - but cannot see any reason it would not work also.

Card Upgrade

Hi,
I have done it with a TT go 300 and the 510! I used a 2GB card . Yes works great and lots more room to put more voices,and Poi's first of all make a BACK-UP of your card. then get a 2GB card any brand (we can't give brands) but do get a fast card! then copy the original card to the new 2GB card. But don't forget to make a back up! VERY IMPORTANT

Regards,
George

I'm about to upgrade to a 2gig card. From reading these posts, it seems people are having success backing up and then restoring to the new card and also just copying over to the new card. Can someone please confirm which way would be best and/or quickest? Thanks!

TomTom's website only has Navigator 5 manual. Would this be any help to you battom? Click the link in my signature to direct you.

1GB 510 to 2GB "Pseudo 710" restore error

I have tried twice to upgrade my TT GO 510 to a 2GB SD card and failed both times. Each time, when trying to restore a 1GB 510 backup to the 2GB card, I receive a "You're trying to restore a backup from a different type of unit" warning. Then, when I try to restore anyway, I get a "Not compatible with your device" error. Very frustrating! I can still install the basic TT application, maps, voices, etc...but then, the TT HOME thinks my 2GB 510 is a 710! Arrgghhh!! :mad:

I'm not sure if you succeeded or not. According to the last line of your post, it seems that you have copied all of the files. Does this new card now function in your unit?

As to whether HOME thinks that you have a 710 or a 510, this is not a problem to worry about. They are, in fact, the same unit in Europe. The 710 has more maps included.

I have tried twice to upgrade my TT GO 510 to a 2GB SD card and failed both times. Each time, when trying to restore a 1GB 510 backup to the 2GB card, I receive a "You're trying to restore a backup from a different type of unit" warning. Then, when I try to restore anyway, I get a "Not compatible with your device" error. Very frustrating! I can still install the basic TT application, maps, voices, etc...but then, the TT HOME thinks my 2GB 510 is a 710! Arrgghhh!! :mad:

I had exactly the same problem with TT's backup/restore - seemed to backup ok, but the restore thought my 510 was a 710, and would not restore.

HOWEVER.. you can make your own backup by using Windows Explorer - just navigate to the device and copy all the SD contents to a folder on your PC. Then insert your new SD card, and copy all the files back to the new SD card. Works perfectly! I trust this much more than TT's backup/Restore. And there is no need to register or reactivate.

As others have said, make sure your software is up to date before backing up. And make a backup (ie, copy the complete SD) frequently, like once a month, if you make lots of changes like adding POIs and Favourites.. this ensures your backup is current and contains all your changes.

Upgrading to 2Gig card-510

:cool:

I have a 510 also and just updated to a 2gig card. I purchased a card reader and the the switch was easy. !. make a backup!!! 2. Click on desktop, click new and then folder. 3. Open up TT through 'My Computer', click select all, and then copy. 4. Go to the folder you created on the desktop, right click on the folder and click paste. It will then about 10 mins. or so to download to new 2gig card. It took me one try. The important thing is the card reader. they are very inexpensive and easy to use-at least w/ Windows XP. My 510 recognized the card right away as if it were the factory card. I have noticed an increase in speed!!

It's not necessary to make a backup, trust me. It's enough to use a card reader (if you don't have on the PC or laptop), copy all files to PC, after that copy again all files on the new card and change the name of card according with original name.
This it's first operation what I do, and original card I put it in safe place.

SD Backup

It's not necessary to make a backup, trust me. It's enough to use a card reader (if you don't have on the PC or laptop), copy all files to PC, after that copy again all files on the new card and change the name of card according with original name.
This it's first operation what I do, and original card I put it in safe place.

I just said to make a backup because what can go wrong-will go wrong. I disconnected my 510 once (done correctly) and my map was deleted somehow. To this day I am not sure what happened. Luckily I had a backup and there was no problem. Let us just say that there should be a backup available-in case!!

Hi, I just realized (honest) I never followed up on my issue. I was finally able to transfer a backup from my computer to the new 2GB card. As I recall, I used TomTom HOME to do it. Everything's fine since then. Thanks!

Ask a Question