SD Card spec, class 4 vs. 6

I understand the differnce between the two cards but I was wondering
if using a class 6 card might be faster than what the TomTom 720 can offer.
In other words, would a class 6 card can read and write faster than the spec
of the 720?

So what is the SD class spec for the 720 ?

thanks
Ken

Class 6 SDHC Cards

I bought a TomTom 720 Gps and I am awaiting its arrival. I am looking into a card to expand its capabilities and storage for mp3 and maps and what not. There are a dizzying array of brands and capacities but I want either a 16gb or 32gb. I have heard that others have had success with Sandisk but have not heard from people about other brands such as Transcend, Patriot, Ritek and others presumably from China. Class 6 Is what I hear works best but I have heard anything above 2 should as well. I was looking at a Sandisk 32gb Ultra2 SDHC Card but its Class 4. Anyway I just want to buy something that will work and not break the bank either. Any recommendations? I have seen some real inexpensive class 6 ones on ebay.

My 4-gig SanDisk Ultra II sdhc is a class 4 and I have no issues with it. I also keep my Western Europe map on a Kingston 4-gig class 6 sdhc card.

I use Class 6 SDHC cards made by Peak with no issues at all, beware of purchasing from e-bay though as quite often you but what looks like a class 6 only to find its a far less capable card with a sticker dressing it up to look like another (dearer) product - Purchase from a reputable source, e-bay is not reputable in my opinion - Mike

SDHC Cards

Oh ok. Thanks Mike. I have noticed that based on the specs as well. Some seem to be newer but the read/write times seem low. That is horrible and false marketing/advertising if manufacturers slap a class 6 label on something not certifiably in that class. No wonder the top brands are more expensive and clearly state a lifetime warranty unlike others. I wonder if those other ones are not just re branded with generic stickers much like store batteries. Wishful thinking I know. I might just take the chance though as the price is very attractive and if it fails then I will buy a Sandisk/Toshiba/Patriot. Hopefully by that time the prices will have dropped as well. I like the idea of using the biggest card possible as well because that will avoid having to take cards constantly out of the device and I think the less you mess with it the better.

Sdhc

Well I pushed the button and bought a card. 32gb SDHC card. NEW 32GB SDHC Secure Digital Memory SD Card 32 GB 32GO - eBay (item 220430640947 end time Jun-17-09 14:25:00 PDT) Bought a 3 year squaretrade warranty and the total for everything came out to less than 30 bucks. I have peace of mind for at least 3 years and by that time these cards will be really cheap even for more reputable manufacturers like Sandisk, etc. etc. I took the chance as it was for a gps but if it were for a camcorder or a digital camera I would have gone brand name.

Other than during route calculations, is it REALLY neccessary to have a Class 6? I just bought an 8gb Sandisk Class 2 and it is working great for music, audiobooks, and maps.

Sdhc

I agree with you on that. I think the only reason for me getting a Class 6 was compatibility. I had read of others having issues with class 2 cards and I did not want the hassle just to save a couple of bucks. In my case I saved money and got the latest. But yes for those people with existing cards class 2 should work but make sure you have the latest firmware for your device. If not then you have no choice but to upgrade your Brand or Class.

See if you can test your read/write speeds on your ebay card when you get it. It has been found that 85% to 90% of name brand high capacity/high speed cards are fakes. Some are even just 1 gb cards flashed to read 8/16/32GB sizes. The data will write to them, but when attempting to read back from them, you get all sorts of read errors. Here's a simple guide regarding fakes.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fake_Memory_Cards

There are tons of guides with really nice high resolutions pictures posted all over ebay/google as well.

Ask a Question