Screen re-calibration?

I've a 520, when I press a key a soft key the character to the left is selected. I've created a file called cal.txt & dropped it onto the root of the SD card...but when I boot the 520, my touchscreen settings are the same as before...I've never really wrapped my head around TomTom's boot & file structure...perhaps I'm dropping cal.txt onto the root of the SD card & not the root of the Tomtom itself?....the thing is, all I'm doing is plugging my tomtom into a PC USB port, do I need a specific app to give my PC 'explorability' to the root of the tomtom device itself?

You'd use Explorer to look at the contents of the drive represented by the 520. Is that what you are asking?

Well when I plug my 520 in the PC finds it & displays it as 'Removable disk G: ...so I created a cal.txt (with my own settings) & dropped it on the root of the G drive, but when i boot & display the touchscreen config (when booting hold i the power button then release when text is seen)...it's the default config (not my modifications). From this I assume the tomtom 520 is not picking up on my cal.txt ...but my cal.txt is there - so then I remember that the 520 can load it's OS/config either off internal ROM of the USB driver ....but how do I know which one of these my Tomtom 520 is using (becuase only then can I establish which 'root' to place cal.txt in.

If the application is on the sdhc card, then the 520 will boot from the card rather than from internal.

So this is where my confusion stems...how do I know where the application is being booted from...& if it's booting from the SDHC card...presumably it isn't the SDHC card that showing as the root when I plug my Tomtom into my PC via USB? Or if I my tomtom is booting off the SDHC card, will I have to pull the card out the Tomtom & load it into a PC card reader to get access to the root of the card?

Put the file in both places, and it won't matter if you have the system on the card or not.

Hi friends, after changing my Tomtom Go720 battery, need to calibrate the screen.
Question: All G720 have the same coordinates to write in txt without searching.
My initials are coordeladas
97928138844, in the txt file would be 928 97844138
But ... I run out of patience!

Forgive my bad English, originated from Google.
I think I did not express myself well.
The process is perfectly performed.
My question is:
GO720 are all equal, I mean, are equal the txt coordinates of go720 or otherwise, each individual must search for your Go720.
Solution serves your txt (from your Go720) for my Go720 and not have to look for it?
Forgive my bad English

Each unit is uniquely calibrated. The numbers from one GO720 probably won't be optimum for any other unit. This is because the characteristics of each touch screen are somewhat different, and must be matched to the video information underneath to keep them aligned so that what you see is where you push.

Thanks for your help. :(
I need a lot of patience and time to find those numbers. :eek:
By change the battery, I must now suffer this torment. :mad:

I'm surprised that anything changed on HIS unit with a battery change.

@Johnny1492 (guessing your last name is Columbus?)
Is the screen off only a little bit, or is it off such that it doesn't function at all? I'm wondering if the resistance of one of the flex cable connections has changed. It's the screen resistance that decides finger position, so any series resistance in the connection could move things.

My screen does not work at all.
I'm tired of wasting my time.
I'll buy another gps, but not be a Tomtom.:(
-------------------------
1492:
Rome Pope Innocent VIII dies (Giovanni Battista Cybo).
Columubus discovers America.
Spanish Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia was elected Pope taking the pseudonym of Alexander Borgia.
Anne was crowned Queen of France.
Thomas More enters the Canterbury College, University of Oxford.
Isabel was born the daughter of Henry VII King of England and Lord of Ireland.
...With this data you can play to Sherlock Holmes.;)

Last edited:
I have a Tom Tom Via 260 that has screen calibration problems. The "Done" button is bottom right of screen, and sometimes I can select it by using my fingernail up against the bezel on the right, but often not. It is almost impossible to use this way. I have read most of the posts here on how to change the calibration with the text file, but I don't see four calibration numbers when I look at the diagnostics screen - I see seven (see image). Anyone know what this means, or how to change the calibration for a Via 260?

tomtom.jpg

Unfortunately, all of this discussion up to now has been about the older Nav2 units -- the ones that work with TomTom Home, not with MyDrive. You have a Nav3 unit, and we know of NO way to upload a calibration file to these.

Well i tried to put a cal.txt file in my GO 730 and now there is no reactions when i press on the screen. I can't even connect it to my PC because it ask if i really want to connect to my PC, YES or NO but with unresponsive screen its not possible anymore. I can't even reset it using the reset "button". I wasted enough time on this s*** my new GPS device will be Garmin i guess. Anyone have other tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i tried to put a cal.txt file in my GO 730 and now there is no reactions when i press on the screen. I can't even connect it to my PC because it ask if i really want to connect to my PC, YES or NO but with unresponsive screen its not possible anymore. I can't even reset it using the reset "button". I wasted enough time on this s*** my new GPS device will be Garmin i guess. Anyone have other tips?

Did you notice and read post #96 before proceeding with your attempt.

However, if you can access the unit via Windows Explorer (or whichever OS you use) then simply delete the cal.txt file and that will re-set the unit to the condition before you started.

Post #96 does not apply here, It is a NAV2 device using HOME to connect to the computer.
However that also means he can get into the file system.

Pity that his post #1 is just a rant, not a question.
Had he engaged in a dialogue with canderson he might have been home free by now.

Thanks for stepping in.

Ask a Question