Screen Changing While Routing

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I have a problem with my 730. While I am traveling with a destination already set it automatically changes to the find mode and it always the option to search for police and emergency agencies. It has not always done this and I don't remember changing any of the settings. Any suggesitons?

Perhaps:

1. Phantom key presses often are a symptom of a bit of dirt somewhere under the bezel. Take a sharp end of a business card and slowly move around the circumference of the screen and see if that helps.

(Sometimes, units with screen protectors elicit the same problem as protectors 'dry up' over time and exert additional pressure somewhere on the screen.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it and cleaned it and it still does it. It is always kept in a protective case when not on in use.

It seems strange that it always wants to search for police stations and nothing else. You can push the back button a few times and get it back to the map route but then it's apt to do the same thing again and again. When you are traveling, especially in a major city where you go through several different locations it does it repeatedly. It's real aggravating.

I wish I knew how to disable that function .

Just for the heck of it, can you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer and make sure there are no files in the scripts folder? If there are, just delete them.

Hi -- I have a GO 730 with the same symptoms. At first, the ghost tapping hits the top right corner of my screen (I have the vertical info, not horizontal) so it keeps on giving me the option to change the volume. After a few ghost taps, it goes into the 'HELP ME' screen -- the icon is on the top right corner as well. then the 'Walk to Help' screen appears, and the "Nearest Police Station'... all of these icons are tapped on the right top corner of the screen.

I called TT Support. The fellow was pretty helpful and said this is a fairly common issue. But first I had to run a coupe of steps to make sure the software was not corrupted. He told me to follow the directions in these two links.

Navigation device frozen or restarting and Check device memory for errors

As an aside, I just did these two procedures and the problem is still there. So back to TT support on Monday.

Wanted to tell you that I contacted TT Support, the issue with the phantom tapping is due to a screen calibration problem due to hardware, not software. If your unit is still under warranty, they'll exchange the unit at no cost through an RMA. Mine is on its way to Fort Worth.

Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback.

I suggest you register the replacement unit (when it comes) using a different email address. It needn't even be a real one, just in the format of (e-mail address removed).

Thanks DHN, will do. I assume this will allow me to transfer my Favorites to the replacement unit. Is that the reason?

It's just that if a second unit is registered within 6 months (not normally allowed ) with the same email address, the TT servers get confused as to what device has what updates, etc.

As to favourites...........

Make an Explorer backup, not Home of your current unit's contents, especially the specific map folder. While you are not restoring that map folder to the new unit, you would want to copy the mapsettings.cfg file FROM the map folder to the USA_Canada map folder on the new unit. That file is where the favourites are kept.

delete scripts ?

My 730 is doing the same thing (i ranted like a fool on the 930 forum).
mine is unfortunately 3 weeks out of warrenty.
Moderator, i saw your response of deleting scripts in the script forlder.
I do have one there called liblua.so.
is that importantant ?
can i delete it ?

i also saw tomvolvos response of calibration issue of hardware.
im pretty electronic savy.
would a replacement of the lcd screen repair this ?

can anyone help ?

It may well be that I misinterpreted the symptoms you talked about. Try deleting any files in the script folder and see if that rectifies the issue. I can't answer about calibration issues but perhaps others than assist here.

Thanks.

a faulty screen seems to be the most likely candidate.
I found them on e-bay as low as $28 delivered.

like i said before, there are a tom of these issues on the web.
this poor guy was told by tomtom technical support its a "software issue".

TomTom just cant give straight answer.

its all very frustrating.

So is a hardware issue (as told to tomvolvo) ?
in which case i would chance the $28 to solve th problem.
or a software issue, as posted here;
When the tom tom 730 is turned on and has a route set it keeps...

in which case, nothing can be done on my end, and im screwed with a faulty unit..

Thanks for your help DHN.

I just wish i could get a straight answer from TomTom.

and from the looks of it, so are countless others.

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. That shows the application installed on your unit.

its gotta be the screen

I am going to assume the screen is the problem at this point.
i restored the unit back to factory defaults, and for days there have been no problems.
the weather here has been pretty warm, so i didnt need to turn on heat or anything in the car.
on friday, it was warm.
the sun was beating on the unit, and by the time i walked out of my customer, SAS (sure as sh-t), the unit was trying to call the local police department.
as soon as i opened the car and the temperature returned to normal, it started acting normal again.
unless someone has some other info, im going to replace the screen. i found some inexpensive ones on ebay for about $30

Ask a Question