Scala is paired but no sound

Hello to all my fellow Rider users,
I just got a rider 2 about couple of weeks ago and am having an issue that I can't figure out on my own. I was wondering if any one out there can lend me a helping hand with this issue.
My scala pairs just fine, however, when I drop the GPS in the bike mount it says briefly on the top of the screen; that I need to connect my unit to a car hands free head set, hence, I can't get to make nor receive phone calls or even get directions audibly like am suppose to. By the way I already got one of the pins in the back taped over. I believe it's the second in from the left, .........I hope it's the right one.
Any ideas of what is causing this and how can I fix this issue???
Thank you

Yes sir I did, I paired my HTC pocket PC to the unit without any problems and then I paired the scala by holding down the button for 10sec till the red and blue lights came on. you think may be there is a setting am missing? or even got the wrong connection cover?
Thanks

You need the Scarla paired to the Rider2 and need the Phone paired to the rider2, is it possible you have accidently paired the phone to the Scarla as that will prevent the Rider2 from seeing the Scarla resulting in no direction sounds from the TomTom - Mike

If each item is truly paired to the Rider, there will be icons showing a scala and a phone on the Riders screen. Also, when you first start the Rider, it will flash the words "connected to xxx phone" and 'connected to scala headset" or something to that effect.

Carefully review the proceedures for pairing, and perhaps try again. I know it took a couple of tries to get my Blackberry to pair properly.

Cheers

Hi goldwingfan
I am curious why you have tape over one of the dock connector pins? I remember that in June '09, JPM78 reported the exact same symptoms as you are experiencing - regarding loss of audio signal after taping the (when viewed from the back) second pin from the left.
My suggestion would be to try removing the tape, follow the pairing instructions again and try the unit to see if it has full connectivity. If everything is fine, try fitting the tape again (for whatever reason) and check the connectivity again.

Last edited:
I took your advice guys and I retraced all of my steps paired the phone to the Rider 2 and made sure my phone blue tooth is set to be seen by other devices and the Scala wasn't on the paired devices list in the phone. Then I paired Scala to the Rider 2 and all is well. While the unit is in my hand I can make & receive phone calls as well as audible instructions from Rider 2. I even walked to end of the drive way and heard the audible instructions clearly, and made a call to my home phone and all is well till that point. Now as soon as I dropped Rider 2 into the cradle, I got the same message up on top of the screen for 5 seconds saying that I need to connect to a car headset to use the hands free feature. I tried then to make a phone call ........i heard static as if it's about to connect but it did not and the phone was going through with the call as it normally would. I tried to set my new destination to get audible directions and Rider 2 was as quiet as a mouse.....................lol
I truly believe it must be something to do with the contact pins on the back of the unit. I will attempt to contact Tom Tom C.S again and hopefully they might send me a new cradle or better yet have a fix for this issue.
I truly appreciate all of your advice and help with this matter, I think this is by far one of the best forums I have been part of. Thank you all again:)

Hmmm...kind of odd; that msg re connecting to a "car" hands free headset. I have never seen this before. Perhaps its a function of the phone your are using?

Taping the pin you speak of on the back is for "tricking" the Rider into not knowing you are moving. This is a safety feature so that you can not make changes to navigating while your bike is in motion (I personally do not believe a rider should be attempting this). It should not have any bearing on recieving voice......but who knows. When you dock the unit, try "snapping" the spring loaded portion of the cradle a couple of times. Once in a while I have to do that in order for it to charge properly.

To the best of my knowledge, the cradle mearly connects you to your bikes 12V system for charging (and detection of movement), so I cant see that being the problem.

Is this a brand new Rider2? or did you get it used or as a reconditioned unit?

I would also suggest you ensure you have the latest applciation version for the Rider and the latest HOME version to ensure you get this update if required. You might like to add your device, map and application to your signature line, as this is helpful info to others on the forum.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good advice as always rcacs! I remember checking the pins on my dock to find out what they did and came up with the following when looking at the dock from Left to Right:
Left pin 1 = 5V+
Next pin 2 = UNKNOWN. (I suspect it is the audio out for the car dock)
Next pin 3 = Ground and joined to pin 4
Right pin 4 = Ground and joined to pin 3
It is dock pin 3 that is taped to "trick" the unit to allow all menue items to be available while riding with the unit in it's dock. ( I must agree with you on questioning the wisdom in doing this!)
I am wondering whether by having the tape on the wrong pin, the unit may be confused into believing it is connected to a car dock, hence my suggestion to remove the tape and testing the unit again. It appears to be pairing fine with the phone and headset.

PC

Hi to all :)
This a brand new unit am using right now. I have removed the tape off of the back of it to find out it really made no difference, meaning, I was still able to receive and make phone calls as well as navigate the menus option while it is in the cradle just as if it was out of the cradle..............sounds crazy...........lol
So as of now I have the latest map from Tom Tom, no tape on the connectors and can't wait to try it this weekend on the road. CS had to walk me through erasing the old map I had in it and then added to my account for download the latest map they have. After downloading it the unit seemed to function properly.

One other issue if I may, is there a particular way to go about organizing a trip route to some where taking back roads and such and then downloading it to Tom Tom. I tried Google with no result, I tried Tom Tom Home and that didn't work and am using ITN Converter 1.73 and even though I was able to setup a route and drop it into my ITN file in the unit, however, It seems like when I run the unit and open itinerary then Load Itinerary files I can't see it there. Am I doing it wrong???
By the way Thank you all again for pitching in here to help me out, I truly appreciate it from my fellow riders
God bless you all.

I cant answer your question as such, but I actually use the Itinary planner built into the Rider itself or do it on HOME. It works great if you want to plan your various routes when you are actually on the road and dont have access to a puter.

Cheers!

I use "TYRE" exclusively for trip planning and am very satisfied with it's operation. I have found that it is constantly being improved and "check for updates" on a regular basis. It uses Google Maps and has an annoying tendency to pull you off the "back roads" and return you to the main highway, however, by plotting plenty of waypoints on the back roads, you can travel where you desire. My suggestion is to give it a try, it's free.

PC

Ask a Question