Satellite Updates

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
The instructions mention that the gps will update location of satllites when on the compute. Is that automatic or manual and how can one tell if it has been done?

Yes, Quick GPS fix is done through home. Here is a quote from TomTom

TomTom Quick GPS Fix TM helps the GO 910/710/510 to find your current position very quickly. To find your current position, your GO has to receive GPS signals from at least 3 GPS satellites. The GPS signal tells your GO exactly where the satellite is. Using this information, your GO can work out where you are.

As each GPS satellite only broadcasts a signal every 30 seconds, it can take some time for your GO to work out where you are. And if anything gets in the way of the signal, like a tall building, the signal will be weak.

Using Quick GPS Fix , your GO downloads information about where the GPS satellites will be for the next 7 days. Your GO can then calculate where you are very quickly and with only a weak GPS signal.

There are two ways to get Quick GPS Fix data:

Use the home dock in combination with TomTom HOME on your computer. When connected to the Internet, TomTom HOME automatically downloads Quick GPS Fix data.
If you are on the road or without access to TomTom HOME you can also get Quick GPS fix data by tapping Download Quick GPS Fix in the TomTom PLUS services menu.

I remember that section now. I have never seen anything happen when I connect the 910 to the computer. Should it not say loading satellites or something?

Click on download updates or under preferences, make sure 'check for updated content when I'm logged in and my TomTom device is connected to the computer. Download the quick GPS weekly.

Ask a Question