Satellite Lock with old ephemeris file. Location dependent?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Hey folks,

haven't posted in a while. I have a question about Navcore 8 but I'll save it for later. My question here is regarding satellite lock.

Back in late Apr/early May, I remember TT was giving some good and some bad QuickGPSFix files. The bad one would literally take my TT a few mins before satellite lock. Also, I had to change my HOME location to the hotel otherwise, it'll think I'm 4,000+ kms away and try to lock onto a satellite from there.(and thus take 1 hour to lock to the satellite every time my TT crashed and I had to do a hard reset).

Anyway, I got a "good" file (i.e. it'd lock within seconds) and I haven't updated since early May. I've had my TT sit inside the luggage for 2 weeks and I took it out today and once I was outside, it locked within seconds without any QuickGPSFix updates... Amazing!

Of course given that it's been in the luggage for the past month and a bit, I haven't really connected it to HOME since early May so I don't have the new updates (and I've read that the early updates weren't exactly bug-free). Also one of the reasons for not connecting to HOME was the really good QuickGPSFix files that I didn't want to give up.

Anyway, so is it time to connect to HOME? should I update the app? I've heard about Itinerary and compass issues. Is it necessary for the new maps? Or should I jsut stick with Navcore 7 for now and just update the maps (when the new ones come out)??

Hey folks,

haven't posted in a while. I have a question about Navcore 8 but I'll save it for later. My question here is regarding satellite lock.

Back in late Apr/early May, I remember TT was giving some good and some bad QuickGPSFix files. The bad one would literally take my TT a few mins before satellite lock. Also, I had to change my HOME location to the hotel otherwise, it'll think I'm 4,000+ kms away and try to lock onto a satellite from there.(and thus take 1 hour to lock to the satellite every time my TT crashed and I had to do a hard reset).

Anyway, I got a "good" file (i.e. it'd lock within seconds) and I haven't updated since early May. I've had my TT sit inside the luggage for 2 weeks and I took it out today and once I was outside, it locked within seconds without any QuickGPSFix updates... Amazing!

Of course given that it's been in the luggage for the past month and a bit, I haven't really connected it to HOME since early May so I don't have the new updates (and I've read that the early updates weren't exactly bug-free). Also one of the reasons for not connecting to HOME was the really good QuickGPSFix files that I didn't want to give up.

Anyway, so is it time to connect to HOME? should I update the app? I've heard about Itinerary and compass issues. Is it necessary for the new maps? Or should I jsut stick with Navcore 7 for now and just update the maps (when the new ones come out)??

I cannot speak for Navcore8, but I would have to believe that the GPSQuickFix data coding remained the same from Navcore7 and Navcore8; I believe this coding would be totally independent from the operating system.

That being said, I've updated GPSQuickFix as early as last week and seem to have good response with it....satellite locks within about 30 -45 secs worst case.

Ask a Question