satellite fix problem

This last weekend I flew from Chicago to New Jersey and took my tomtom with me, this is my first time taking my tomtom on a flight with me.
After arrival and getting into my rental car, I mounted tomtom, turned it on and waited and waited and it couldn't get a satellite fix, the map (greyed out showed me as somewhere in Illinois) and the satellite info tab showed over 10 satellite signals (greyed out too) but no fix, 10 minutes later I got desperate and tried a pin reset, waited another 10 minutes still nothing, so tried a full reset still nothing.
I kept it on, used the prepare route A-B feature to know where to go (while helpful, it's not why I got a GPS in the first place, I could have easily printed route instructions from google maps or mapquest) and got to my destination, I kept it on to see what happens, it got a fix almost an hour and a half after the last reset, that's way too excessive!!!.
When I got back to chicago, I turned it on and it took about 5 minutes to get a fix, while not instantaneous a lot better than before

I am wondering if any of you have experienced such a problem in the past, and is there a workaround or something I am missing??

Some things to consider:
1. How recently prior to your trip was your last GPS Quickfix download?
2. When you were in the rental car, was it in an open area or in a garage or other area that might have been blocking the signal?
3. Were you in a stationary position in your rental car when attempting to get a signal?

It is not unusual for a somewhat lengthy delay in grabbing a signal in the scenario you described, but others have encountered perhaps a 15 minute delay. So, 10 minutes as you mention, while not terrific, is still within the time delay experienced of others.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying & to answer your questions;

1. 2 days prior to my trip (I usually check for updates twice a week)

2. Open area (I had already mentioned that it found up to 10 satellites, they were simply greyed out, when it's blocked there's no signal or a very weak signal from one or two satellites)

3. The first 20 minutes (the two resets) I was stationary then I drove to my hotel, and there kept tomtom in the car and turned on for around 45 minutes (again an open garage), then went to outback steakhouse across the street, had a steak with tomtom sitting on the table right next to me and while in there it got a fix
Almost an hour and a half after the last reset (if you inculde the first 20 minutes, that makes it almost 2 hours) and even if you want to deduct the interval I drove (using the prepare route feature) that still makes it around an hour for it to get a fix while stationary

Ask a Question