Safety Lock Enabled

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd Edition
I have had my TomTom One 3rd Edition for a couple of years now and until recently had no real issues with it. It usually gets me to the place I want to go although not always the best way in my opinion. But now the big issue, whenever I'm enroute to a destination and want to make a change or edit destination or look for a POI in area it will not let me do it saying the safety lock is enabled. I had never seen this before and can find no reference to a safety lock on the unit or manual. I finally contacted tech. support and was told that this is a safety feature to prevent the driver from trying to make changes while driving. I fully understand the issues of drivers using devices while driving and the hazzards it presents. But this also prevents a passenger from making changes also, and I find this totally unacceptable. When I asked if this feature could be turned off, they said that it could not and basically, I had to deal with it. I am pretty sure this was added in one of their upgrades as this was not a problen when I first got my unit. Has any one else had this problem and can it be disabled?

I am seeing more and more as a society that certain people feel it is their duty to mandate how we are to make personal choices and decision. While there are things that affect society as a whole, there are laws that need to be made and enforced, some things just do not fall in that catagory. There are some decision that we have to make on our own and then deal with the outcome.

bmccarl

Just curious.....

Under safety preferences-->Do you have 'show safety warnings' checked?

Had checked that before and did not notice anything checked, but just checked it again and several things were checked. I unchecked everything and will see if that solves the problem. I know that the last time I used it this past weekend, I reset the unit. The items checked may be done when I reset it, I don't know for sure. I hope by unchecking them changes can be made. Thanks for the guide, I appreciate it. I'll let you know if this solves my problem.

bmccarl

I too just had the "Safety Lock Enabled" issue occur on my XL340 IQ routes edition as I tried to navigate to an address whilst my wife was driving.

I must say the manual is very poor in its description of this feature.

"We recommend using the safety preferences to make your driving as safe as
possible. The safety preferences include, for example, the following options:
? Hide most menu options when driving
? Show safety reminders
? Warn when driving faster than allowed"

Nowhere are the words "Safety Lock Enabled" even mentioned.

From Google (and this forum) I managed to figure out;

1) That this feature was happening intentionally to prevent me trying to punch in an address whilst moving &

2) That it could be turned off by Change Preferences>>Safety Preferences>>(Uncheck "Show only essential menu options while driving")

It all makes sense now, but previously I had only put in addresses to navigate to whilst stationary so this feature was a surprise.

Ask a Question