Safety Cameras BE won't install to device

On my 920T when I try to install the Safety Cameras BE TomTom the installation wizard says that the item installed successfully. However, when I go back into the Safety Cameras installation menu, it keeps showing the BE Safety Cameras are only installed on My Computer and not my Device. This situation occurs no matter how many times I try to do the installation (or even if I go into the device and manually copy the files). As a result, the Belgian safety cameras are not shown while driving. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

On my 920T when I try to install the Safety Cameras BE TomTom the installation wizard says that the item installed successfully. However, when I go back into the Safety Cameras installation menu, it keeps showing the BE Safety Cameras are only installed on My Computer and not my Device. This situation occurs no matter how many times I try to do the installation (or even if I go into the device and manually copy the files). As a result, the Belgian safety cameras are not shown while driving. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

It will not work on your tomtom Safety cameras are only for Europe. They are illegal in the US. So you might want to delete them off of your computer as well. It is just taking up space.

You want to install the Belgian safety cameras.
Windows Explorer > HOME > Download > safetycamera > double click on Safety_Cameras_BE_TomTom > double click on Radar_BE_TomTom.cab (you need to have an unzipping programme on your computer like WinZip, WinRAR, etc.) > highlight the files > click on Extract to: icon > select the file Western_and_Central_Europe (or whatever you have that covers Belgium too).

It will not work on your tomtom Safety cameras are only for Europe. They are illegal in the US.

Did I miss the bit where the OP said he was in the US?? No, I didn't think so.

UBDANGED2, it seems like you read "I live in the US but I want to pointlessly install Belgian safety camera files for a map that I don't use!".

[sarcasm] Could it possibly be the case that some people do live outside the US?? Could it also be the case that those people want to install files they find relevant? [/sarcasm].

Also, I don't know where you got the idea that having POI's of speed camera locations is illegal in the US. Wouldn't having that information be protected as free speech? Perhaps you could enlighten us all on the legal basis of your claims? Thanks.

drvais,

If Arno's suggestion does not fix it for you, you may want to try deleting all the BE files on the device and on your PC (my docs/home/..) (assuming you have a subscription!). Then Home will download new ones and should install them automatically.

... Then Home will download new ones and should install them automatically.
HOME downloaded and installed the NavCor but not the Computer Voices, POIs or Safety Cameras on my 930.

I just noticed that in addition to the Download folder I also have a From Device folder. The latter contains a.o. the Radar_BE_TomTom.zip and Radar_BE_TomTom.toc but not the icon-camera.gif. Also, both .cab and .zip files are 21 KB in size.

Illegal use of radar camera data.
I just in another forum that it is illegal in Switzerland to have a GPS that contains a data file with camera locations.
In Germany there is a EUR 50 fine and four points on the license.
The State of Bavaria Supreme Court ruled that it is legal for the Police to confiscate and destroy the GPS without compensation.

HOME downloaded and installed the NavCor but not the Computer Voices, POIs or Safety Cameras on my 930.

I just noticed that in addition to the Download folder I also have a From Device folder. The latter contains a.o. the Radar_BE_TomTom.zip and Radar_BE_TomTom.toc but not the icon-camera.gif. Also, both .cab and .zip files are 21 KB in size.

Illegal use of radar camera data.
I just in another forum that it is illegal in Switzerland to have a GPS that contains a data file with camera locations.
In Germany there is a EUR 50 fine and four points on the license.
The State of Bavaria Supreme Court ruled that it is legal for the Police to confiscate and destroy the GPS without compensation.

That is amazingly harsh - I knew that radar detectors were illegal, but how would they even know you had POI's - do they do random stops and inspect the unit?

The reason I ask is that I have used my TomTom (which as Euro maps and radar camera POI's ) over in these countries, and have friends over there with similar POI's on theirs.

Note - with few exceptions, radar detectors are legal here, and similar POI's re also (I believe in all cases) - radio stations occasionally warn motorists of locations...

Quote:
That is amazingly harsh - I knew that radar detectors were illegal, but how would they even know you had POI's - do they do random stops and inspect the unit?[\quote]
Yes, they do have random spot checks, the way we have them here around Christmas time for drunk drivers.
End of quote (system doesn't like me today).

There is a raging discussion at www.meintomtom.de about the legality and application. The paragraphs quoted form the Swiss law make it very clear that it is illegal.
Some definitions of the German statute has not been quoted but from what I read so far if it would go to court here in Canada I would get off, even without a lawyer. (Yes, yes, I know the old adage.)
They also talked about a programme called DelPOI some installed but the operating software must be tampered with to get the extra icon onto the screen. From reading the fora that doesn't seem to work well since the OS 7 and 8 came out. TomTom does not offer the SDK any longer.
I don't know anything about programming per se, just the buzz words and when to use them!

The reason I ask is that I have used my TomTom (which as Euro maps and radar camera POI's ) over in these countries, and have friends over there with similar POI's on theirs.
Write to them, ask them. Tell them to sign on to the forum unless they are on it already.

Note - with few exceptions, radar detectors are legal here, and similar POI's re also (I believe in all cases) - radio stations occasionally warn motorists of locations...
Radar detectors like hand guns are illegal in Canada and the vehicle "with which the crime was committed" can be confiscated. Don't think that ever happened.
The craziest part in Germany seems to be that radio station are allowed to name locations.

It was also written tat in the UK the law maker encourages POIs for speed cameras. They feel that the general public will slow down. That is the thought behind the multiple warnings when one approaches a speed camera which is installed in a very large, visible yellow box.

Ask a Question