Safety Camera update fails with error 500 - Can you advise?

Just realized that I should have 'expanded' the pseudo-links that were in the original error log...

http://home.tomtom.com/download/Saf...e&id=359&file=Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2

It appears to be the extraction of the *.ov2 from the *.cab file that is failing.

I assume you still have one recent attempt folder in the complete\safetycameras folder. What happens if you manually double click on the *.cab file? Does the archive open to reveal its contents?

I think I understand what you are suggesting. Unfortunately, the CAB file does not download. I have searched thru the ...\HOME\Downloads\complete\safetycamera folder (empty) as wall as the various TEMP folders where downloads are usually kept until moved to their target folder. No CAB folder to be found.

In the ...HOME\Downloads\Temp folder there are three files with the correct time-date stamp named with random letters/numbers.tmp.meta. They are at most 150 bytes, so they cannot be the CAB file.

So, if the CAB file is being downloaded (and your analysis would indicate that it is), I have no idea where it it ending up.

A tangential question. TomTom uses some Mozilla settings in \Users\XXXX\Appdata\HOME\...\Profiles. I do use Firefox (a Mozilla creation). Can any of this nonsense be traced to my default browser? Do people who have the problem use Firefox or Mozilla and people who don't have the problem are use IE or Chrome or something else? Anybody have input on this question?

The message "500: Server Error", a standard HTTP error message (albeit the most uninformative one) signals a misconfigured server. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it; only TomTom's network admins could fix this issue.
I have been experiencing this issue for a couple of years now: I have a Go 720 registered under a US address (in my TT profile) and an XXL 540M, registered under a Canadian address; apparently, this is where it turns awry: due to some misconfiguration in their load balancing/other configurations, the "American" has always been getting safety cameras; the issue you're mentioning has not appeared, not even once. In return, the "Canadian" has never been able to download those, due to - surprise, surprise - a "500: Server Error"; each and every time, I have to manually transfer the files from one GPS to another, invoking all sorts of curses upon the House of TomTom...

So, if the CAB file is being downloaded (and your analysis would indicate that it is), I have no idea where it it ending up.
After you let Home do whatever it can do before failing, the folder we talked about earlier
My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/complete/safetycamera
is where a new folder is built each time a download is completed.
Actually, the path is a bit different for Win7 users - forgot to ask what you were running there.

A tangential question. TomTom uses some Mozilla settings in \Users\XXXX\Appdata\HOME\...\Profiles. I do use Firefox (a Mozilla creation). Can any of this nonsense be traced to my default browser?
I am unaware of any configuration issues with Firefox (I use it exclusively) that impact Home. The only thing I know of that truly breaks Home is lack of the Microsoft .net framework. Home expects to make calls to that resource.

A full deletion of Home should have also removed the kind of profile information you mention, though. It would be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\TomTom\HOME

I am using Win7. The path you specified is correct for me. The ..\downloads\complete\safetycamera folder remains empty after attempting to download the cam data.

I think I figured out what the Mozilla stuff is: it has to do with Operate My TomTom inside HOME, which runs inside some browser or other. In my case Firefox. So I guess that that is not the culprit.

greal seems to think that the problem is the TomTom server. greal reports the same problem ongoing for two years. We have all put too much time and effort into this and the outlook does not seem bright. :( Thanks for all the help.:)

Ask a Question