Safety Camera update fails with error 500 - Can you advise?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340S IQ Routes
I am using HOME2 Ver. 2.8.3.2458 with my TomTom XL 340S IQ Routes Edition. Any help resolving this problem will be appreciated.
I have tried repeatedly, over several days, to download new safety camera info. It fails with the following dialogue:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: -500/#http://home.tomtom.com/download/Saf...&id=359&file=Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2: Error from server: Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
Error code: HTTP 500
URL: http://home.tomtom.com/download/Saf...e&id=359&file=Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 0
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] false
info.entityID = [string]
info.file = [string] F:\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera\Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge\Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.cab
info.metaFile = [string] F:\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\ec04d4342365a885fa13c2ad1610fddc.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] F:\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\ec04d4342365a885fa13c2ad1610fddc.tmp

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:97
return new ServerError(responseStatusText, -responseStatusCode, aChannel.URI.spec, undefined, additionalInfo);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:363
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus, this._getRequestInfo());

Time: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:51:04 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the TomTom server is behaving badly for speed/light cameras again. I've seen that before. The "HTTP 500" error is a generic error and doesn't ever tell much.

I'm firing up by 740Live to see what happens during an update... wait... haven't done an update in a few days. One the 4 coming is the "Safety Cameras - USA, CAN - Free of Charge".

Nope. No problems here. Are you also getting the GPSQuickFix and MapShare and all of the rest of the usual updates or no? In order to tell, you may have to deselect the Safety Cam update to see if the rest are successful.

Thanks for the update

In response to canderson's question about other updates, the answer is yes, everything else is updating as expected.
I tried updating safety cameras again, thinking maybe the problem had been fixed, given canderson's success. No joy.

Thanks for checking it out on your end.

It MAY be necessary to kill off existing old cam files before Home will successfully retrieve new ones. I had something similar happen on my 740 a while back and had to nuke 'em.

In your map folder on your unit, you will find the following files:
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2, Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct, Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.Ov2.ver
Delete ONLY those three files there.

On your PC, you will find a folder My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera From that folder, delete all of the "Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-x" folders. Do not delete the "safetycamera" folder itself, just all of the contents.

Now, hook up to Home again and see if things improve.

Not there yet!

I tried what you suggested. Still no success.
I am attaching a couple of screen shots for whatever help they may provide.

Thanks again for trying to fix this.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 533
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 565
Are you using the same email address as you once did for another unit, by any chance?

Have you ever had a tomtom unit prior to this one and, if so, are you logging into Home with the previous email address instead of a new one for this unit?

Yes, I have had several other units, but I am logging into HOME with the email address that is associated with my current unit. I am able to "Update my device" (QuickGPSFIx, Map patches, new voices, etc. I just cannot get the Safety Camera to even begin to download.

I backuped up my TomTom, reformated the flash drive, installed the application, re-installed the map...Safety Cameras will still not download.

Any other things I can try?

Econdoc, the discussion HERE contains relevent information to the exact problem you are experiencing.

I personally have had no problems downloading the Safety Camera data; I also have not had to update my data thus unable to advise on that issue.

Evidently, when some folks have downloaded my *.zip file and installed it into their map folder, they are then also able to download after that (last message). Not sure how that works, but presence of one set seems to enable the download of a new set. Last message of that thread per alfie.

I thank everyone for their help, but so far, nothing has worked. Alfie67 pointed me to a forum link, which indicated that

• this problem has been going for years
  • TomTom Support is clueless
  • the problem is still not resolved.

Has anyone actually fixed this?

Thanks,

If you go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ do you see a folder called Safety Cameras? If so, delete anything in the folder, connect to Home and try again.

Just for grins, unpack the contents of the attached zip file into your USA map folder on your 340S and then connect to Home and see what happens.

(Hope you didn't get the previous attachment - that one belonged on the PC side! The 'correct' one only contains 3 files.)

Attachments

• 01-15-2010_Camera_Files.zip
    83.3 KB · Views: 315
Thanks again, canderson, but still no success. Safety Camera updates start to download, but then fail as usual.

P.S. The files you sent have a very strange year on their time/datestamp: 4/20/2102.

They are indeed old dates - a function of the device that created the zip. Couldn't attach the original files here - doesn't handle those extensions.

Anyway, sorry to hear that didn't work either. I'm stumped. The 500 is too generic of an error to get us anywhere. However ...

In re-reading your original copied bit of error log, I see that the issue raised has to do with the *.ov2 file. That is NOT part of the download package - it's inside the *.cab file that is downloaded. That tells us something of interest. It should mean that the files are now resident on your computer back in the folder we mentioned before.

I think I understand what canderson is saying. I can attempt to purge all versions of the "Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.XXX" from my computer and from the device. That would include TOC, CAB, OV2, VER, DCT. Does anyone think that is a good idea?

In searching for files with that name, I found a Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.tlv file on the device. This file extension has never been mentioned by anyone. Any idea where (if) it belongs? Is this part of the problem? I deleted it from the device, but still could not update.

Thanks to everyone for your continuing efforts. Hope it eventually pays off. Apparently there are others with the same issue, but I have not seen a solution.

The *.tlv file resides in the POI folder in the root of your device. That's acting as a sort of 'inventory' of the POI data on your device. However, it does contain the unit serial number, which is why it may not be possible to transfer between devices. I should have mentioned deleting that as well, but YES, I thought we had already deleted all of the items (including *.toc, *.cab etc) from your computer early on in the process. Those files are unpacked from the archive you received and that you would have found in the Downloads\complete\safetycameras folder. At one time, we should have had that all cleared out.

Anyway - back to the earlier observation -- that *.ov2 in INSIDE the *.cab file. If Home is talking about that file, it's because the entire package has already been downloaded and Home is trying to install it. So we can be pretty certain that the first half of the process (download) is completing successfully.

Ask a Question