Safety Camera Icon on Route Planner

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I have just completed an update on my Xl. When I completed my Route Planner, a safety camera icon now appears on the screen. As I am shortly to visit France I am concerned that if I am pulled over by the French police for a Safety Camera check on my satnav, they will interpret this icon as a camera warning symbol.

Any suggestions as to how I can disable or delete this.

My understanding is that if you are travelling in France, rather than 'safety camera', the warnings are for 'danger zones'.

Somebody else will hopefully pop into the thread with better advice.

Safety Camera Icon

My understanding is that if you are travelling in France, rather than 'safety camera', the warnings are for 'danger zones'.

Somebody else will hopefully pop into the thread with better advice.

Many thanks for info, still waiting for TomTom to anounce their promised "warning zones" update.

When I completed my Route Planner, a safety camera icon now appears on the screen.

Can you give more details of exactly what you are doing and describe what icon appears and when, please?

Safety Camera Icon

When I completed my Route Planner, a safety camera icon now appears on the screen.

Can you give more details of exactly what you are doing and describe what icon appears and when, please?

I connected to TomTom Home and downloaded new software as recommended. I then input a route request, ie from Home to Dover. The satnav calculated the route and put me into the start of the route screen as normal.

In the bottom left hand corner of this screen was a Camera icon, when I touched the icon a new screen appeared asking me to confirm that there was a new safety camera at this point, with answer "yes or now" buttons and giving me 10 seconds to respond.

My question is, can I delete or hide this icon?

Many thanks for your interest, Andy

Thanks for the clarification, yes that's the "report camera" icon (I thought you meant a warning of a camera).

To get rid of it is different depending on model, I've not got an XL but an XL LIVE, so the way the cameras are loaded onto the device are different and the menu to get rid of it will be too....

On the XL LIVE its in Main menu / Live Services / Speed cameras / DIS-able report button.

But on my non-Live Start 25 its in Main menu / Services / Speed cameras / DIS-able report button.

On models with the "Quickmenu" options, like my old GO940 you can also turn it on and off in Change Preferences / Quickmenu preferences / and UN-tick "Report Speed camera"

Hopefully one of those (probably #2) will find it for you on your (non-Live?) XL.

Thanks for the clarification, yes that's the "report camera" icon (I thought you meant a warning of a camera).

To get rid of it is different depending on model, I've not got an XL but an XL LIVE, so the way the cameras are loaded onto the device are different and the menu to get rid of it will be too....

On the XL LIVE its in Main menu / Live Services / Speed cameras / DIS-able report button.

But on my non-Live Start 25 its in Main menu / Services / Speed cameras / DIS-able report button.

On models with the "Quickmenu" options, like my old GO940 you can also turn it on and off in Change Preferences / Quickmenu preferences / and UN-tick "Report Speed camera"

Hopefully one of those (probably #2) will find it for you on your (non-Live?) XL.

Many thanks Andy,

The XL set up is different from those you suggested, but after setting the route, I have gone into options, where the Safety Camera prefference was set with a red X, I assumed that would mean, camera warning disabled. However, I then clicked on the camera icon and the X then changed to green. Went back to my route planner screen and the camera icon has disappeared. I am confused with the red and green Xs, they seem to be working in the opposite way, but at least the icon has gone off the main driving screen. Once again Andy, many thanks for your suggestions and help.

That's TomTom's way of doing things... The icons and text in the menus are what happens when you tap it.

So if the camera warnings are currently ENABLED, the menu item will read "Disable alerts" and there is a red "X" on the icon.

If you tap it and turn them off, then the menu item will change to read ""Enable alerts" and there will be a green tick on the icon.

I'm quite surprised you haven't got two separate icons though, one to enable and disable the alerts and one to enable or disable the report button.

It's not an XL² by any chance is it? What's the first two characters of the serial number on the barcode sticker?

That's TomTom's way of doing things... The icons and text in the menus are what happens when you tap it.

So if the camera warnings are currently ENABLED, the menu item will read "Disable alerts" and there is a red "X" on the icon.

If you tap it and turn them off, then the menu item will change to read ""Enable alerts" and there will be a green tick on the icon.

I'm quite surprised you haven't got two separate icons though, one to enable and disable the alerts and one to enable or disable the report button.

It's not an XL² by any chance is it? What's the first two characters of the serial number on the barcode sticker?

Hi Andy,

The model is an XL IQ Routes Edition 2. There is definately only one camera icon on the enable safety icons screen.

The " ² " edition models all seem to have much reduced menu options. Part of TT's obsessive drive to "simplify" things. Great if it works, but all too often it just means people can't select the options they want any more. Glad this time it did the trick for you!

The " ² " edition models all seem to have much reduced menu options. Part of TT's obsessive drive to "simplify" things. Great if it works, but all too often it just means people can't select the options they want any more. Glad this time it did the trick for you!

Thanks for your input and assistance Andy, as you say this model of TT as reduced options. My previous TT was a 910 which was brilliant, the only reason I updated was because of the motorway lane info screens, which I have to admit are in the main great, but this has been at the sacrifice of other useful items.

Guess you have to ask the question, is it really progress? I have gained a flat screen but lost a lot in exchange. C'est la vie.

Once again thanks Andy.

Ask a Question