Safely upgrading to new application version?

When I first got my ONE XL-S, it came with application v7.140. Upon connecting it to TomTom HOME for the first time, it wanted to upgrade to v7.163. I accepted the upgrade, but unfortunately that upgrade eliminated all audio from my TomTom... although it would beep at startup, there were no other sounds (no route announcements, etc.). It took me a long time walking through a process with a TomTom support rep to get the unit back to 7.140, which worked.

HOME is now suggesting I upgrade to 7.162. So my questions are:

1) Did anybody else have the no-sound problem with 7.163, and if you did, have you tried 7.162, and did it work?

2) Say I do a backup of my current 7.140, and then install the 7.162 upgrade. If 7.162's no good, will restoring the backup put 7.140 back on the unit? In other words, is the "application" backed up? I browsed the contents of the backup folder and didn't see any likely-looking files.

Suggestions and comments welcome - thanks in advance for any help!

Check this folder to see if you have a backup on your computer.

Run TTHome > Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc. > More > More > More > Items on my computer and look for the Applications sub catagory. If you expand it, you should see all previous versions of the TomTom application that you've installed. (Mine shows 7.162 and 7.166). If you have the old version there that you know works, you should be able to "Remove Items" from your TT, uninstall the application, then reinstall the old version.

However, I only registered yesterday and am learning all sorts of new things, so I'd wait for another to verify what I've stated before taking any leaps.

And welcome :D

When I first got my ONE XL-S, it came with application v7.140. Upon connecting it to TomTom HOME for the first time, it wanted to upgrade to v7.163. I accepted the upgrade, but unfortunately that upgrade eliminated all audio from my TomTom... although it would beep at startup, there were no other sounds (no route announcements, etc.). It took me a long time walking through a process with a TomTom support rep to get the unit back to 7.140, which worked.

HOME is now suggesting I upgrade to 7.162. So my questions are:

1) Did anybody else have the no-sound problem with 7.163, and if you did, have you tried 7.162, and did it work?

2) Say I do a backup of my current 7.140, and then install the 7.162 upgrade. If 7.162's no good, will restoring the backup put 7.140 back on the unit? In other words, is the "application" backed up? I browsed the contents of the backup folder and didn't see any likely-looking files.

Suggestions and comments welcome - thanks in advance for any help!
Have you read this thread?
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4903

Ask a Question