Rural Routes & spoken street names

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S
I just got a new XXL 540s from Black Friday and tried it out today. However, I can't enter Rural Route addresses since there are no letters on the screen - ie 39w654, 7n611, etc. I'm wondering if there's a way around this? I was able to get to the road I wanted, but not the actual address. This might just cause me to return the unit since I have a rural route address.

Also, I'm NOT getting spoken street names. I think I have everything set correctly, but what exactly should I have settings as to get the unit to say "turn right on Main street" instead of "turn right in 500 yards"?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I just got a new XXL 540s from Black Friday and tried it out today. However, I can't enter Rural Route addresses since there are no letters on the screen - ie 39w654, 7n611, etc. I'm wondering if there's a way around this? I was able to get to the road I wanted, but not the actual address. This might just cause me to return the unit since I have a rural route address.

Is there not a 911 address in that area? You must be WAY out in the middle of nowhere for there not to be. I live out in the middle of nowhere and we ditched rural route addresses like 15 years ago.

At any rate, if this address is just for marking your home location, there is a better and more accurate way than using an address. Just go to preferences and type "change my home address" and then type "my current location," Be sure to have the unit at the physical location where you want to mark home.

You need a computer voice selected to hear the name of the streets. Look under the the Voice preference.

Also, I'm NOT getting spoken street names. I think I have everything set correctly, but what exactly should I have settings as to get the unit to say "turn right on Main street" instead of "turn right in 500 yards"?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

There's no way around your address entry problem on your TomTom. They're the only one's with this issue that I've found. Mixed numbers/letters in an address isn't very common in most of the US, but if it is where you're located, another manufacturers device would be more appropriate for you.

You need a computer voice selected to hear the name of the streets. Look under the the Voice preference.

There's only one "computer" voice and I did select her. Maybe I'll actually read the manual instead of trying to figure it out on the go...

Thanks!

There's no way around your address entry problem on your TomTom. They're the only one's with this issue that I've found. Mixed numbers/letters in an address isn't very common in most of the US, but if it is where you're located, another manufacturers device would be more appropriate for you.

Unfortanetly it is very common in my area. I'll have to see if it becomes too much of a problem versus just looking up the streets.

To answer the 1st responder, the rural route numbers are kept in my area because it is easier for the emergency response - at least that is what we were told :)

Have you tried to put such an address into Google maps?
If it works in Google and you are connected through HOME, you can click the [Send] button at the top right and that address can be Add to favourites or straight to Navigater to it.
It may be worth a try.

Have you tried to put such an address into Google maps?
If it works in Google and you are connected through HOME, you can click the [Send] button at the top right and that address can be Add to favourites or straight to Navigater to it.
It may be worth a try.

Google maps works, so maybe this will.

Thanks!

I tried with your first sample but, without Lori Lane my version of Google maps does not get there.
It possibly could work because Google maps puts the coordinates on a different line from the written address.

Let us know how you make out with that as quite a few others are having problems.
Cheers,

I tried with your first sample but, without Lori Lane my version of Google maps does not get there.
It possibly could work because Google maps puts the coordinates on a different line from the written address.

Let us know how you make out with that as quite a few others are having problems.
Cheers,

I know this is the TomTom Forums and thanks for all the help, but I decided to take gator's advice and get another model today. Just got home so hopefully that will solve the problem. However I must say that for the price and features (especially the 5" screen), I wish I could have kept my XXL 540s :-(

Thanks again for all the great responses!

Call Tomtom and let them know. They log this type of feedback and it helps to prioritize improvements.

But I agree, if you need alphanumeric addresses you did the right thing by choosing another brand.

Ask a Question