Rubbish Instruction Manuals?

I was given a TomTom XL for Christmas and it is really good. I no longer had the box but was going to be spending some weeks in France in May and June this year and wanted to make sure that I had the French map.
I looked thoroughly through the instruction manual but there was no indication whatsoever that the unit contained European maps so I went online and purchased the French map at ?39.95.
When I received the link an hour later I tried to load it but the unit said it didn't have 'enough memory'
Not knowing what to do I went to Halfords and asked their advice. They showed me how to get France on my TomTom and agreed that the instruction manual was rubbish!
I contacted Tom Tom at once and asked for a refund as obviously the map could not be used and had not been downloaded.
Seven weeks later TomTom have now decided that I am not entitled to a refund as it was my mistake.
I have requested their Chief Executives name and a contact address and intend to take the matter through legal chanels.
Not what I would call good customer service I am sure you will agree?
Has anyone experienced the same problems?

If you've downloaded the map (which it seems you have), then you can do this.........

1. First, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

2. (For safety sake) now copy the Western Europe folder to your computer.

3. Delete the entire Western Europe map folder from your unit.

4. Start Home. Add maps. Move to Items on my computer. You SHOULD see the map for France listed. If so, select 'add' and install.

5. You should wind up with the France map on your unit and ready to use.

5. When you get back home, move the France map folder to the computer and replace it with your backed up Western Europe map folder.

Ask a Question