Routing Preferences: Avoid Left Turns?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Does anyone know of a tweak for avoiding left turns; I mean, as part of the route planning preferences? I know you can review the details ask for alternatives after the route is planned, but I don't see a provision for that style of routing.

They say avoiding left turns can be beneficial to gas mileage:

CarJunky story

NPR story

Your request is ironic because threads here are full of complaints that, in fact, various levels of TomTom firmware DO avoid turning left in the routing and cause the route to turn right, turn right turn right.

Some report the latest maps and firmware DO allow for left turns where the possibility was not there earlier.

To each his own, I guess. But mine seems to route me with left turns all the time, especially across undivided highways where people drive at least 20mph over the speed limit. I suppose there are multiple variables considered in the decision-making algorhythm.

I'm with dhn on this.

My TomTom seems to want me to pass my destination, then make 3 right turns to get there. Not always -- but when there's a 4-lane highway that I might need to make a left turn on, TT will have me pass it, then make 3 right turns and then cross the highway.

Very frustrating at times. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question