Routing Philosophy/procedure

TomTom Model(s)
Go 510
I've just moved from years of Garmin to a 510. I'm sure it's because I'm so used to Mapsource (Garmin) but is there any equivalent for the TT?
I could crank out a route with multiple via points very quickly. Click on the start point, click on the via points, click on the end point. Done. Download to Garmin

I spent a great deal of time this evening because I wanted to enter one via/poi that was just an arbitrary point on a thruway. This was to force the routing to take me this way.

Even without the computer maps (don't even get me started with "TT home."; virtually useless for routing. If I could zoom out far enough (like 300 miles) to mark a via or poi that would be almost OK.

Screen brightness is fair (not as bright as the Street Pilot)

OK. Now that I've vented....any tips on efficient routing with the 510 would be much appreciated.

1. Any equivalent to Mapsource available?
2. How do I enter a map coordinate in lat/lon?
3. Any tips/tricks/hacks to make the screen brighter (not talking glare..just barely ok brightness)?
4. What am I missing..right now the TT seems to be far under the routing capabilities of the Garmin. I'm obviously at a philosophical barrier (Garmin way vs. TT way). Show me that way.
Thanks so much
Stan

I've just moved from years of Garmin to a 510. I'm sure it's because I'm so used to Mapsource (Garmin) but is there any equivalent for the TT?
I could crank out a route with multiple via points very quickly. Click on the start point, click on the via points, click on the end point. Done. Download to Garmin

I spent a great deal of time this evening because I wanted to enter one via/poi that was just an arbitrary point on a thruway. This was to force the routing to take me this way.

Even without the computer maps (don't even get me started with "TT home."; virtually useless for routing. If I could zoom out far enough (like 300 miles) to mark a via or poi that would be almost OK.

OK. Now that I've vented....any tips on efficient routing with the 510 would be much appreciated.

I can understand your frustration and I think you hit it on the head when you said that you are used to Garmin products. Using something for so long and then switching, there is a transition period that you have to go through.

You mention you are having trouble setting up multiple points on your route. To set up such a thing you use Itinerary Planning for that. You can set up multiple waypoints to 'force the route' you want to take to your destiniation.

Sorry, I'm not a Garmin user so I don't know what Mapsource is.

Do you mean navigate to a lat/lon point or simply find the lat/lon on a map?

To navigate to a lat/lon:
1. Main Menu
2. Navigate to..
3. Tap the arrow to go to the next page
4. Tap Lat/Long

To find a point on a map:
1. Main Menu
2. Browse Map
3. Find
4. Tap the arrow to go to the next page
5. Tap Lat/Long

3. Any tips/tricks/hacks to make the screen brighter (not talking glare..just barely ok brightness)?

AFAIK, no such hack is available. I'm sure you have found the option but I'm going to suggest in just in case, there is a Brightness preferences option. That's found under Main Menu>Change Preferences>Brightness preferences.

If you don't see that option, look for 'Show more options' button also in the Change preferences.

4. What am I missing..right now the TT seems to be far under the routing capabilities of the Garmin. I'm obviously at a philosophical barrier (Garmin way vs. TT way). Show me that way.
Thanks so much
Stan

I don't know if I can show you the way but the community here is great and friendly and I'm sure they will be able to :D

If I could just add a note to D-F's above explanation, if you are doing an itinerary, and you want a way-point, as mentioned, at a particular spot on a thruway, make sure that you zoom in as close as possible to make sure that you place the cursor in the correct lane. If you place it on the lanes going in the opposite direction, you will never pass thru it and the TomTom will spin you around in circles.

As to what Mapsource is, it is a set of the maps that you can put on your computer, plan routes and upload to your Garmin GPS. I know this is used for the hand-held units. Do the Garmin car navigation units let you do this to?

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the comments, suggestions, tips, etc.
I do have the brightness set at 100% but still tough to see. Going to try the glare reduction cover but think that probably won't help much as far as overall brightness.
I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the routing on TT Home.
The Garmin Mapquest routing product has two significant advantages (but still doesn't make up for crappy customer support and a questionable interface)
1. The map is full screen and has some very nice routing tools. i.e. click from a to b to c to destination and route is drawn. Then download to any connected Garmin receiver from the small handhelds to all car units.
2. The maps are beautiful. They look like excellent paper maps. High resolution, exits marked well even at lower magnifications.

Thanks again.
Stan

Thanks so much
Stan

As a long time Garmin user I have experienced much of what you are describing. Here is my technique to do the "via point".

1. Let the TomTom calculate the route.
2. Then select "Find alternative".
3. Then select "Travel via..."
4. Then select "Point on Map" (on second page).
5. Zoom in on the point you want and select.

The brightness (or lack there of) is a real issue. A sunshade does help.

Since the maps are on our computer TomTom could provide software equivalent to MapSource. I wish they would.

Tyre / Google Earth

Just installed Tyre, and have tried it out a couple of times. Great simple program. Pick out your points on Google Earth, copy them to Tyre, Copy to TomTom with a single button push, and the Itinerary is in my 910.

Does any one know if you can delete a single waypoint while an Itinerary is running. Sometimes a side route that seemed like a good idea in the planing phases ineeds to be deleted.

Andy

Ask a Question