Routing around partly missing road?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
Hi, I just got a TomTom ONE and this is my first post. I saw the intro forum, but I have a question and this seems like the place to ask.

I live on a road that is mapped incorrectly. In reality, it dead-ends at my house. According to my TomTom, it extends far to the south and crosses two more streets. (The TT also thinks it is unpaved, but whatever.)

When I plan a route and it wants to send me down to one of those southern streets, is there a way to get it to avoid that bit of my street (since it's not there) without avoiding the street entirely (which makes the world explode because there's no way to get where I'm going)?

I am a new Tom user also, and have a very similar question.

I await a reply to this question, and doing a search for this info as we speak.

That's what "correct map" is for. In browse mode, select the section of the road which isn't there by tapping it. Now choose correct map from the cursor menu and pick block/unblock road. It will be displayed in a new screen which will let you block it off from either direction.

After doing this you can choose to either share your change with everyone or just keep it on your own GPS. Now notice that this section of road will have stripes on it, indicating it's blocked. If it's something temporary you might not want to share. This is a great feature on the TomToms which isn't available on the Garmin Nuvi's, or most other GPS'es.

There seem to be far too many roads that map out as Penu noted. I have not seen nearly so many problems in my wife's factory (Honda) system (made by Alpine). I thought most of these sourced off of the same maps. Also, I have uploaded many of the road fixes I've noted and allowed my 720 to supposedly download EVERY fix submitted by users......I don't see any fixes. Does someone know.....do they blast out the user-supplied fixes once-a-month or when ?

No idea about the mapsource questions. But in my area there are a LOT of "paper streets" (roads on the maps which don't really exist). Looking at a map you would think you're in the middle of a town when you're actually out in the middle of the woods. These are the legacy of planned communities from 100 years ago which never grew as expected.

Both the Garmin (Navteq) maps and the TomTom maps show all these streets. But the nice thing about my TomTom is that I can block them off. If there are specific roads which bother your (which was the original question), just block them off.

That's what "correct map" is for. In browse mode, select the section of the road which isn't there by tapping it. Now choose correct map from the cursor menu and pick block/unblock road. It will be displayed in a new screen which will let you block it off from either direction.

Tried that. I selected just that section of the road (3941-3942 to 3998-3999 or something like that, where I live at 3939) and blocked it off in both directions. Now it won't navigate to my home address at all... if I try to plan a route it just says "no route exists". I swear it only showed that I was blocking off the southern part. I tried a couple of times, then I gave up and set my home location to the intersection of my street with the nearest cross street. It's not like I don't know how to get there from here.

I submitted the correction to MapShare, since there seriously is no road there at all. I feel sorry for anyone trying to find addresses on this street, but Navteq can't find my house either, so what can you do?

Ask a Question