Route Planning - Step by Step

TomTom Model(s)
GO2535M
Hi,
I have the TomTom GoLive 1535M....which I am very unhappy with.

I have a foreign friend who will be visiting. I wanted to put into the device a few routes to places I know they'll be traveling to and from.

By route I mean a start and end, and SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY the streets and turns I want. I want to save it/store it so my foreign can select it and have TomTom call out the directions.

Does the 1535M support this?

While there is a "Plan Route" button.... it is an absolute joke as far as attempting to put in turn by turn directions. Even after putting in "way points", it goes off and tries to add in other directions.

Thanks in Advance
Churned in Charlotte!!

That model does NOT have true Itinerary Planning. You can add a maximum of four waypoints to a route. That is achieved by using the 'travel via' button under options once the initial start/destination is established.

Because there are just four points allowed, the combination of LIVE traffic and IQ routing may very well alter even the routing to the waypoints on the way to a final destination.

You can disable LIVE traffic and IQ routing and that may allow a better chance for the four waypoints to be gotten to the way you desire.

As a general point, so far as I know, there are NO normal satellite navigation devices (TomTom or any other brand) that do EXACTLY what you are asking for here i.e."SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY the streets and turns I want".

That's an important thing to remember.... EVERY Satnav uses single points as destinations (or waypoints) and ALWAYS uses it's own routing decisions on how to get between each of them.

No current TomTom models except the Rider units for motorcycles have the full 48-point Itinerary planning functionality that the older models had. But even an older TomTom that DOES have full itinerary planning still only has a list of points to go via. The route between each point is still worked out on-the fly by the device.

Obviously the more waypoints you add, the more likely it is to go by the route you are expecting, but you are never telling a device a ROUTE as such, only a bunch of places not to miss on the way.

It's a subtle but important distinction.

Hi,
I realize this isn't the most sought after functionality....... but still it is kind of sad the machine doesn't support it.

Must be Garmin Time

In fact, Itinerary Planning IS a highly sought after function for many users and completely stupid of TomTom to remove it in Nav 3 devices.

I have a foreign friend who will be visiting. I wanted to put into the device a few routes to places I know they'll be traveling to and from.

By route I mean a start and end, and SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY the streets and turns I want. I want to save it/store it so my foreign can select it and have TomTom call out the directions.
I have the same device as you.

1. If you enter a new destination the current location will be chosen as a Start point.
If there is insufficient satellite acquisition as that moment (inside a building, perhaps) the unit will ask if one wants to use the last known position as a starting point. That is usually OK if the vehicle has not been moved for a greater distance while the device was switched off. But even then, all is not lost as one can select a Route A...B .
In the worst case scenario, your friend can look out the window and use a cross road for the road on which he is at that moment.
This will get to the destination.

2. I don't know why you want him to drive "SPECIFICALLY and EXACTLY the streets and turns" but short of knowing why, which could alter suggestions, there is still a work around to end up with the intended result.
Lets say you want him to drive to a street corner D and only make a right turn, then proceed to point E before driving to destination.
a. Select destination.
b. Select Waypoint 0 at corner D (adderss, cross roads, coordinates).
c. Select Waypoint 1 for point E if you don't care how the device will guide him there else, pick a location along the you think he must follow.
d. If the latter, there is only Waypoint 2 left before going to destination.

Since this is a one off and not kept as an itinerary there is a very easy way to again get to all places in your chosen sequence if you save them all before as Favorites.

So that your friend will run past them in sequence preface the Favorites names with numerals as in 01; 02; 03; etc.

Aside of your specific request you should also make up a (some) Custom POI categories that can be loaded into the memory of the device through MTTSA > Add community content. (If you are not familiar with that make a search in this forum thatwill also give advise as to how to make icons for the custom category.)

While there is a "Plan Route" button.... it is an absolute joke as far as attempting to put in turn by turn directions. Even after putting in "way points", it goes off and tries to add in other directions.
It is generally accepted that the user does not tell the device where to turn but that the user wants to go to a destination and that the device then, depending upon prior user selected options, will tell the user where to turn.

I do have one Favorite which I regularly use for a Waypoint.
To go to a Plaza I have to leave the freeway a little over a mile and follow it on a parallel road to the north or one to the south.
The fastest route is always the one to the north. That one has higher speed limits than the one to the south. The one to the north has a left turn off the freeway at a light that is always red and and additional 7 lights. The one to the south allows me to make the right turn on red and only has 3 additional lights.
The time to destination is the same, but the southern route is a leisurely drive while the northern, with all the lights turns one into a driver who takes no prisoners.
My guess is the TomTom selects the northern one because the traces of actual route segments show a much faster speed.

Maybe, if you give some for instances, we get your point of view and can come up with different work arounds.

BTW, except for the non availability of HD Traffic, my favourite TomTom is my 5 year old GO 930. Not only can I make all my POIs by typing on the computer but because it has a Bluetooth remote control.
It does have 48 Waypoints max. but I learned after a very short time that Waypoints are a pain in the neck the second I want to deviate from the planned route.
To my way of using the GPS, custom POIs are much preferred.

Ask a Question