Route Planning question

JPA

I am seriously considering getting the TomTom - ONE LE GPS, and I was hoping someone could answer a question about its function for me.

Can you program in a specific route for TomTom to use? For instance, I have a 400 mile trip to go on, and I have directions from a friend that go a little out of the way but it ends up being faster w/o all of the tollbooths and traffic. Can I just program these directions into a TomTom? Or am I subservient to the route that the navigation system recommends? And if you can enter it, how difficult/problematic is it?

Also, on a sort of unrelated question, I have read some reviews online that complain about battery life...there must be a way to connect a charger to the car so you don't have to worry about battery, right?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Can you program in a specific route for TomTom to use? For instance, I have a 400 mile trip to go on, and I have directions from a friend that go a little out of the way but it ends up being faster w/o all of the tollbooths and traffic. Can I just program these directions into a TomTom? Or am I subservient to the route that the navigation system recommends? And if you can enter it, how difficult/problematic is it?

You can program a route you want to take and the function you use is Itinerary. You basically set points along the route you want to take. You can look for a program called Tyre which will allow you to use google maps to set way points and transfer them to you unit.

Also, on a sort of unrelated question, I have read some reviews online that complain about battery life...there must be a way to connect a charger to the car so you don't have to worry about battery, right?

The unit comes with a car charger so you don't have to worry about battery life once you got it plugged in to the cig lighter.

Thanks for the quick response Flex.

How smooth is using the itinerary function? What I mean is, will I notice a difference in how the TomTom will direct me using this function compared to the direction it recommends? Like having to press a button at each waypoint etc.?

And a more general question, is the model I'm looking at decent (the TomTom - ONE LE GPS)? I'm just looking for a simple, functional GPS mapping system, but some people have told me to get a Garmin instead.

Thanks for your help.

How smooth is using the itinerary function? What I mean is, will I notice a difference in how the TomTom will direct me using this function compared to the direction it recommends? Like having to press a button at each waypoint etc.?

No, you don't have to press a button. It won't even tell you that you reached a waypoint, it'll just keep navigating to each point until you reach your destination.

And a more general question, is the model I'm looking at decent (the TomTom - ONE LE GPS)? I'm just looking for a simple, functional GPS mapping system, but some people have told me to get a Garmin instead.

I have a ONE and I think it's great. The LE comes with NavCore 7 and a map that is compatible with Mapshare so if there is a problem with a map like incorrect name of the street, or road that doesn't exist you can make those changes. No other GPS units do that.

Ask a Question