Route Planning: DC --> Beantown

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Can anyone explain the best way to plan a specific route using TT1.

Traveling from Washington, DC to Boston. TT1 routes me thru NY. Don't want that. The route I want is towards Frederick, MD up towards Harrisburg, PA over towards Scranton, PA onto I-84 to I-90 into Westborough, MA.

Seems when I use itinerary planning it takes me to each city (ie - Frederick, Harrisburg, Scranton, etc.) I just want to route thru not go to each city.

How do I do this using TT1?

Thanks!

you can try using the "Find an Alternative" function and see what that does for you. another suggestion is to route the trip the way you want on google earth and then save the trip as an itenarary. you can also do it on ggogle maps but i don't know the link right off the top of my head for the web site you need to convert your route to an itenarary file.

When building your itinerary, use the 'Point on map' function. Zoom in very close and set your point on the highway you want to take. This way you will avoid the city centers.

Just make sure that you zoom in close enough that you place the point on the correct lane of the freeway. You don't want to be going in the wrong direction!

A final tip is to make sure that only your destination has a checkered flag (destination) and that all the others points are shown as waypoints.

-----------------

Also try the alternative routing and select 'Find alternative", "Travel via" and then "Point on map". Zoom into a point near Scranton on the I84, again making sure that you place the curser on the correct lane. This might just do the trick for you.

Last edited:
Route planning DC --> Beantown

Try going here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d to plan the route you want. When you are satisfied with the route click on the "Link to this page" link. Copy that link to http://houghi.org/tomtom/ which will create an ".itn" file.
Copy that file to the Itn folder on you TT and you are set to go using the Itinerary function of TT.
This sounds like more work than doing it on TT but is actually pretty simple and works well.
Of course all of this presupposes a handy computer, web access, etc.
The advantage is that you have absolute control.
Hope this helps
rhys

Thanks!

Thanks! Works like a charm ....

Try going here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d to plan the route you want. When you are satisfied with the route click on the "Link to this page" link. Copy that link to http://houghi.org/tomtom/ which will create an ".itn" file.
Copy that file to the Itn folder on you TT and you are set to go using the Itinerary function of TT.
This sounds like more work than doing it on TT but is actually pretty simple and works well.
Of course all of this presupposes a handy computer, web access, etc.
The advantage is that you have absolute control.
Hope this helps
rhys

Thanks! Works like a charm ....

Glad it worked for you. Wish I could claim credit - found it on these forums. There is an amazing amount of info here, and I've only occasionally looked for stuff I was interested in.

One thing to note - take the begining and ending points and move them several meters, even if you end up moving them back to where they were. For some reason if you don't they won't be recognized as legitimate points (loci?).
For longer itns you can do it in several stages and combine - just note that the delimiter on intermediate and begining/end point lines are diff. If you open the itn with notepad(windoz) or a text editor(mac) you will see immediately what you need to do.

Good luck with your routing.
rhys

Ask a Question