Route optimization program?

From my days working at Mapquest, I recall that we had a route optimization tool but only offered it to paying customers (i.e. not available on the free web page). Companies like FedEx and UPS pay a good deal of money for tools like this. I doubt the average user could afford the GPS that has route optimization built in!

All these Garmin series offer true route optimization. Nuvi 7x0's (since 2007), 7x5's, 8x0's, 8x5's, nuvi 5000. Some recent Magellans's also offer it as did the HP310. It can be done by TomTom and won't add much if any cost. I suspect that at some point they will.

While not exactly what you're after, Optimap/TSP, an online Google maps based 'traveling salesman' solver might be helpful:

TSP Solver for Google Maps
Nice, Slothman! Just what (my) doctor ordered, and I suspect others will like it too. Some more work on the UI and that'll be a killer.

We'd probably all like to see this sort of function in the GPS devices themselves, and as we know, some models have it. But it can be a very complex problem, and the more complex, the more processing power it needs.

It could be that we could (should!) get this function in our TomToms, but as you can tell, Optimap has a limited number of points/destinations (up from 9 to 15). It's likely that the number of points possible is going to be restricted by processing power, memory, etc. So even with the function implemented in the device, you might have to go to a PC for more points, and a server (like Optimap?) for more, etc.

In my case 6-10 would be great, and having that on the device would suit me fine.

I often need to make several stops within a city. Does anyone know of a program where I could locate each stop and have it determine the optimum order for visiting each site to minimize travel?

I use the Badger Map to build routes. I'm in field sales and have customers all over, and it shows the customer data from your CRM on a Google Map so you can plan your route, see traffic, and build a schedule for your day that includes travel times. Saves a ton of time.

Yes, but it's a good one! This problem is ongoing, and the tech available continues to improve.
My current preferred site for solving a Traveling Salesman problem is http://gebweb.net/optimap/

I don't think that one does automatic optimization - at least there's no mention of it. Looks like a dandy multi-platform manual planning tool, though.

Ask a Question