Route/Itinerary Planning With Mac

TomTom Model(s)
Rider Second Edition
I have searched various places looking for software for the Mac that will let me plan routes/itineraries and then transfer that to my TomTom Rider 2. I am having no luck. I did find Garmin software (there's actually quite a bit written by Garmin for the Mac) that does this, and does it very well.

Simply put, the Garmin software (Garmin RoadTrip) lets you load your maps and plan routes by dropping markers on the map. The software calculates the route taking into account the markers. However, you can go one step further by dragging individual legs of the trip onto different roads to have a completely customized trip plan. Amazing. In other words, I can pick a start point, pick an end point, let the software calculate the trip, and then customize the roads that the trip will take. All of this is then transferred to the GPS device for use on the road. A perfect solution.

TomTom? Nothing that I can find. Sure, I found the BETA online tool, but you can't actually transfer the route you plan, nor do you have the level of customization available through Garmin's native software. I gotta' tell you... not being able to transfer the route to the GPS is a joke. What good is the online tool when you can only transfer the start OR end, and then the GPS will calculate its own route. Heck, even TomTom warns (and admits) that the route the GPS calculates might not (probably won't) be the same as you planned on the computer. What a sad, sad joke that is!

Where is the equivalent TomTom software for the Mac that I'm just missing, even if not written by TomTom? Why do I feel like I just bought something that won't work for me and isn't terribly supported, even by TomTom?

Frustrating...

I have searched various places looking for software for the Mac that will let me plan routes/itineraries and then transfer that to my TomTom Rider 2.

What you describe about dropping pins on the map sounds really wonderful, I wish I could do that!

Does the Rider 2 come with TomTom HOME? If so, is it possible to use HOME to plan your route?

On my Mac, I use HOME to plan a route/itinerary, using the "Operate My GO" feature. The route is then automatically on my GO.

Don't know if the Rider has this feature.

Unfortunately, although the TomTom Rider 2 connects to the Mac via Home version 2, TomTom still hasn't enabled the Operate My RIDER feature (my roommate has had the Rider for quite some time now, and has never been able to connect with this feature).

So, anyone else? Please? Is there route/itinerary planning software worth something that runs on a Mac and connects to the Rider?

The sound of silence is becoming deafening...

3 years and no one has any news. This is why motorcyclists should avoid Tomtom and only but Garmin, I too have made the mistake of buying the Tomtom Rider. I liked the compact size but the lack of features and software is a big joke!

Interesting. Let's you move points from the itin around, but doesn't allow for moving actual road routes by pulling on them as some other Google apps have done. Some forcing can be done by clicking on the desired point on a road, adding the waypoint, and reordering the waypoints to place the new one in the correct spot in the series.

I tried this today but I must be doing something wrong. I created the itinerary, copied and pasted the waypoints to a text file and copied the text file into the itn folder on my device (using windows explorer), adding the .itn extension.. When I click on "load itinerary" it tells me there are no itineraries available. Where did I go wrong?

Where did I go wrong?
If you were using Windows, you should check to see that your file wasn't saved as something.itn.txt as is often the case. I resent that Microsoft hides file extensions for "known file types" by default, and am sure to turn that feature off immediately on any Windows system I encounter!

Ask a Question