Route itinerary by distance?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 740 LIVE
Route itinerary (or any other way) by distance?

Yesterday my wife and I went Garage Sale hopping. My original thought was to plug in all the addresses that we wanted to visit and then just have it sort them by distance. I couldn't figure out a way, if there is one.

More specific in case the above didn't make since...
I want to plug in addresses 1 - 8. I want to set a starting point and then for it to sort (or at least show in a map view) the best order to visit each point. I don't know all the streets, so I want to avoid driving back and forth from one side of town to the other side of town multiple times.

Does this make since, and if it does, is this possible at all?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:
That feature is called "route optimization". Tomtom doesn't (yet) offer it, tho some other manufacturers do. I saw mention of a third-party program (in one of the threads) that will figure an optimal route, but you then need to manually order the stops in your TomTom. There's not a program you can install on your device to do that for you AFAIK.

That feature is called "route optimization". Tomtom doesn't (yet) offer it, tho some other manufacturers do. I saw mention of a third-party program (in one of the threads) that will figure an optimal route, but you then need to manually order the stops in your TomTom. There's not a program you can install on your device to do that for you AFAIK.

That is good to know... and also glad that I wasn't just foolishly overlooking a feature.
I am searching now for this "Third party app", if you happen to come across the name of it, let me know.

Thanks!

Have a look at MicroSoft AutoRoute as that can do what you want and then save the itinerary file for the TomTom - doesn't take too long in practice to get an optimised route on the nav unit - Mike

For more than you ever wanted to know about the difference between route optimization and route sorting, take a look at this link

Have a look at MicroSoft AutoRoute as that can do what you want and then save the itinerary file for the TomTom - doesn't take too long in practice to get an optimised route on the nav unit - Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the suggestion... the only problem with this solution is... I need to have a PC and be able to connect my GPS with HOME.

Most of the time we get a news paper at a gas station and then plug in the addresses... no PC to use and no HOME connection to send the itinerary to the unit.

Again, thanks for your input and suggestions though!

Jon

Ask a Question