Route control Via Google for Geocaching

TomTom Model(s)
GO-920, TT1, XL-330
I am getting ready to make a trip from NC to Chicago. Along the way I would like to do some geocaching. I can lay out a route in Google earth or Google maps that will show me all the caches along my given route. I can then upload those coordinates to my TT as POI so I will know when I am close to each one. The problem is the last time I did this my TT wanted to any direction other than that I had laid out. I know that I could do by manually building an itinerary and adding point after point along my route, but let?s face it on a trip this long that would take forever, trying looking up all the needed point to keep TT on track. Does anyone know how can I program my GO 920 to use the route I have planed?
Thank you,

Look at the itinerary planning option (you cannot plan a way-point off road, though).

Yes, I spoke about that in my post. I know it will not plan an off road course, if you set them as POIs TT will take you to the closes point on road and then you just hike the last little bit and boom your there. I use it a lot for caching, locally, just going from POI to POI, when it does not matter where I end up.
I was hoping there was a way to import a ,KML or .GPX file or something like that to give TT a planed route, or an itinerary file. I am sure that TT saves them as some type of file so maybe Google could match it.

Yes, I spoke about that in my post. I know it will not plan an off road course, if you set them as POIs TT will take you to the closes point on road and then you just hike the last little bit and boom your there. I use it a lot for caching, locally, just going from POI to POI, when it does not matter where I end up.
I was hoping there was a way to import a ,KML or .GPX file or something like that to give TT a planed route, or an itinerary file. I am sure that TT saves them as some type of file so maybe Google could match it.
Programs such as Tyre will help you build a TT itinerary (*.ITN file), but these are built of waypoints. There is no file that you can possibly create that will force your TT to a specific routing that does not do so via waypoints of some sort. In other words, there's no file that says "Take this road to this road, turn left, take this road" etc.

Like you, I use my TT for gross navigation for geocaching. On a really good day, the 48 waypoint limit of the TT is a hinderance ;). I use a handheld Garmin eTrex for the fine detail. I create geocache specific *.OV2 files with GSAK, and then build itineraries using entries in the geocaching POI *.OV2 as waypoints on the TT (or sometimes Home).

Last edited:
Use GSAK. Download the Pocket Queries for the areas around the trip. GSAK will then pull the caches from a set distance along the route. Install the results to the unit as a POI file.

If you need a hand with that, let me know, I can talk you through it in more detail.

You mention getting close on the road and hiking in from there. Do you use a second unit from the vehicle to the cache?

J

I am getting ready to make a trip from NC to Chicago. Along the way I would like to do some geocaching. I can lay out a route in Google earth or Google maps that will show me all the caches along my given route. I can then upload those coordinates to my TT as POI so I will know when I am close to each one. The problem is the last time I did this my TT wanted to any direction other than that I had laid out. I know that I could do by manually building an itinerary and adding point after point along my route, but let’s face it on a trip this long that would take forever, trying looking up all the needed point to keep TT on track. Does anyone know how can I program my GO 920 to use the route I have planed?
Thank you,

I don't know if this works for sure as I haven't driven it yet, on rute demo it seem to work .
I have the 920 like you and I used Google Maps & Houghi to plan my route from Nova Scotia to Florida about 3600 kl (2100 mil )when I first loaded in my 920 and looked at demo like you it took me a different route so I tried the demo again with the IQ routing turned off and browsing the different points along the route it seemed to do what I had planed in Google. This might help :confused:

Another thing you could try is use a program like Mappiner to mark where you want to get of the Hwy for your gocash. This will save your waypoints to your favorites.
Click here for Mappiner

Last edited:
Can you explain this geocaching to me? What exactly are you guys doing? Where are you going that requires more than 48 points?

Ask a Question