Rider v2 will not connect to computer

Just bought a Rider v2 and tried to connect to my computer without success.

When I connect the USB cable the device screen shows the device with a USB cable connected - does not ask if I wanted to connect. Home 2 shows device not connected.

I have tried all the suggestions in the help menu and have tried resetting the device as well. Also uninstalled Home 2 and reinstalled without succes.

Anybody have any otrher suggestions? Any help would be appreciated

To-pher

Are you using the usb cable that came with the unit? Are you sure both ends are firmly inserted? Can you try another usb port on the computer, particularly, one on the back, if possible.

Do other usb items 'register' when using the same port as you're trying to connect the Rider to?

Further to my last message.

Also tried to connect to my work laptop with the same result. Laptop runs windows XP

What is the application version on the Rider?

Home has a hard time reading applications earlier than 7.x.

If your application is 6.x or earlier, then:
1) turn on "show hidden/system files" in vista and copy everything on the SD card (from a card reader) onto your computer as a backup.
2) Then extract this file onto the SD card using winrar, put it in the tomtom, and start the tomtom up. This will upgrade your application to app 7 and home should be able to read/update it.

Good points. If you have a 6x version, it is very old and not been updated for some time.

Here are a few other things to check out:

Make sure you have registered your device, and sign in on HOME. I believe to register, you go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems and select your country, then create an account.

Go to "my computer" and if the device shows up on a drive, open it and make sure the contents of your Rider show up.

Disconnect from your computer.

With the Rider turned on, but not in the mounting dock, touch the satallite status bar, the next screen will show the application version. I am running 7.901 (a newer one exists now). Touch the version on the screen and it will also show your map version, your Device Number, etc. I have 8.15 currently, although a newer version is now available.

Ensure you have the latest HOME version (update via the HOME
program).

If all fails, call TT support, do not waste your time emailing them.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ask a Question