Rider not charging - hard wired bike mount

I finished hard wiring the mount to find that the Rider would not charge. I have power to the end of the plug that goes into the bike mount and the connections on the back of the TT look nice and clean.

A little digging this evening came up with a potential anwer from a site reviewing the TT rider:

"Dumb" Biker Mode (officially called Drive Mode)

This mode is activated when you place the Rider in its cradle on the motorcycle and start riding. The Rider is assuming it's on a motorcycle, and disables all functions apart from standard navigating.

No Battery Charging While Riding

Due to the complexity of their "Drive Mode", you can't charge the GPS Rider on a motorcycle without it moving into Drive Mode.

I have not had a chance to hook it up and go for a ride to see if this changes anything, Has anyone else had any difficulty in getting the TT to charge when hard wired to the bike? It works fine otherwise.

TM

I can't answer you question exactly but there has been some problems with the rider, check around here on the forum for the threads on the "Rider", I have the TT One XL that I use on the motorcycle and don't have that problem do to the fact we don't have the mount like you do, I just plug into an auxilary (cig lighter) and that's how I keep in charged

https://www.tomtomforums.com/search.php?searchid=370195

If Murray is your last name, you must be family.........LOL

Last edited:
Sounds like the problems I had. The mount is/was the issue. TomTom replaced my mount 2 times on the Rider v1 and I'm now on the second Rider v2 mount.

I've just come to the conclusion that it gets jarred and will be a "wear" item. They will only replace them while you're under warranty and mine ran out in Nov 08.

Here is the thread I started a while ago...

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-rider/4014-your-rider-mount-pos-too.html

Last edited:
Well I took it for a ride and no change in the status shown under the battery. I doubt it is still under warranty so I guess I am stuck.

There are 4 pins coming out the back of the cradle. Should I be able to get a power reading off of one or more of the pins?

i just can't believe it is the cradle as it has never been used.:confused:

TM

Well I took it for a ride and no change in the status shown under the battery. I doubt it is still under warranty so I guess I am stuck.

There are 4 pins coming out the back of the cradle. Should I be able to get a power reading off of one or more of the pins?

i just can't believe it is the cradle as it has never been used.:confused:

TM

You should be getting power, yes. From which pin, I do not know.

I have gutted a rider 1 mount and it's a fruitless endeavor. The guts are a circuit board so no servicing was possible (by me). Might be worth a try to see if they'll send you a new mount.

Definitely let TT know that it has never been mounted to a bike or used at all. Maybe that will get you one that works, maybe not, but it should only take a few minutes to find out.

I am not sure which version of Rider you are attempting to hard wire, however I have the following data from my TTRV2 dock:

Left pin 1 - 5v+
Next pin 2 - unknown - maybe audio out for car dock
Next pin 3 - connected to pin 4 - Ground
Next pin 4 - connected to pin 3 - Ground

Last edited:
It is a Rider 2.

So I should be able to get power from the first pin on the left. It only outputs 5 volts so it might not light up my test light. I will have to dig out my volt meter.

I noticed a curious thing. When the TT is in the bike dock and the battery, sat etc status area is showing, the software version box disappears. With the status area still showing if I remove from the dock the version box reappers. It does this with the power hooked to the dock and without power. Does not do this when I put it in the car dock (which charges perfectly). Me thinks it is the dock. Ugg!

Back to TT support on bended knee!

My TTRV2 behaves the same, ie. when in "the bike dock and the battery, sat etc status area is showing, the software version box disappears. With the status area still showing if I remove from the dock the version box reappers. It does this with the power hooked to the dock and without power."
I do note that when in the dock with the ignition on (my dock power is switched on and off by the ignition switch) the battery state icon has the word "charging" under it. When I turn off the ignition, or remove the TT from the dock, the word disappears.
You may have noted under the bottom of the dock in small print that the output from the dock is 5V 2A. 2A is not an insignificant ammount of current, if you have poor connections in your "hard" wiring, you could read 5V on your voltmeter, but not having sufficient current flowing to charge your Rider. Poor connections are a common fault in electronics.

Pacific Coaster on the Pacific Coast of New Zealand

Thanks kindly for the excellent information. Now I know that I should see the charging word as I do when it is charging in other scenarios. Also, it is good to hear that you also get the disappearing version syndrom on your charging unit. This must be normal.

Your comment about the current is also enlightening. I think I will start from scratch and disconnect the way I have it hooked to the bike (I had used an existing connection off the battery used by Battery Tender to charge the bike during storage). I will take the bare leads from the TT connector and apply them directly to the battery and see if it charges the unit. Then I will know I am getting the full current to the device.

If it still does not charge then I guess I will have no other avenue then to try to replace the bike dock.

Good news!

TT support took down my serial number and found I still had warranty. The are sending me a new Bike
Dock by FedEx to replace the defective unit.

3 cheers for TT's technical support people!

The do get it right more often than not I imagine but we just rarely hear about it. Glad they took care of the problem for you.

Good news!

TT support took down my serial number and found I still had warranty. The are sending me a new Bike
Dock by FedEx to replace the defective unit.

3 cheers for TT's technical support people!

Perfect... :)

As a final post to this thread I am confirming the problem was indeed a defective bike dock.

New one arrived and works just as it should. Note the device will show it is charging when the bike is stationary.

Problem sorted.

Just as a side note to all. Set up your V2 to power down when power is disconnected. Watch it while you ride and see if it goes in & out of service. I have received a replacement as well. but before I got it I ran two pieces of tape on each ear of the bracket keeping the Rider & the bracket a little tighter grip between the two .Cleaned up the problem for the remainder of last year's season. Now that the robins are back it is time to start working on it for this season:D:D:D

I have the same issue. My new Rider 2 does not charge when the GPS unit is in the craddle, wired to the bike.
It used to work for 30 minutes.
I dont understand what can go wrong with the craddle? Also, I'm worried that after 1 year of support, I will have to pay for new caddle out of pocket if this happens again.

In Australia...Tomtom provide a 2 year warranty. I am now getting my Docking Mount inspected (not charging), and anticipate a new one being sent back.

Will try the "tape" fix when it gets here.

Oh noooooo! Have just experienced this problem myself. Hard to understand as my Rider V2 is only a couple of months old and has been on my "road" bike for about 2500 km, not likely that vibration is the issue. Now the major problem ... I see that TT provide a 2year waranty in Australia (thanks FJ Steve). I purchased my Rider in Sydney as they are not available here in New Zealand. I wonder if TT will freight my dock to NZ??? Will contact them and let you know.

PC

Tomtom Australia will provide you with a reference number (after you ring them and state your complaint). Then they require you to send the mount with a copy of the receipt and the reference number, to a stated address in Regents Park (Sydney) NSW.

I cannot see why they would not cover the warranty, despite the fact that you have now moved from Oz since the purchase ;)

Just an update on the Rider bike dock - Tomtom support were very quick to ask me to send the dock back for repair or replacement. Supplied me with a reference number, but I have to pay for freight to the repairer .... I guess they will pay for it to be returned? In the mean time, I will be carrying my Rider in my pocket and relying on directions via my helmet headset.
I wonder if I should purchase a spare dock in case I have trouble when the Rider goes out of waranty?
I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

PC

Ask a Question