Rider 2nd Ed Max Size Memory card

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2nd Edition
Well, not that there is too much more to put onto the TomTom Rider, but I am never a fan of leaving any device that uses memory with the stock ammount. You never know when you might need it. I am wondering if anyone may have tried to put any of the new 2-4GB SD cards or the newwer 4-8GB SDHC into the Rider 2nd edition.

I've got a 2GB card in mine. Got it from my local MicroCenter store for about $15.00 (www.microcenter.com) Works just fine. If they get some of the 4 GB cards in, I might try one of those, but I'm cheap and the card needs to be too...;)

Hello Thom - did you do this by making a backup of your existing SD card and 'rstoring onto a new one?..and does it need formatting first?

Honestly, I cannot remember.

First things first... I always do a backup before doing anything with the device.

I think I then copied the contents (through Windows Explorer) from the Rider to the computer. Then I copied fom the computer onto the SD card. I had some issues and had to do a reset when I was done and inserted the SD card, but everything works now.

What I normally do is update the Rider twice (when it has any updates needed) once with the SD card in it and once after removing the SD card to keep the internal memory updated as well.

Well, not that there is too much more to put onto the TomTom Rider, but I am never a fan of leaving any device that uses memory with the stock ammount. You never know when you might need it. I am wondering if anyone may have tried to put any of the new 2-4GB SD cards or the newwer 4-8GB SDHC into the Rider 2nd edition.

Looks like the SDHC type is not compatible with the Rider. The official info is here.
Don't know if this will change if/when we get the 7.xx application :confused:

Last edited:
Honestly, I cannot remember.

First things first... I always do a backup before doing anything with the device.

I think I then copied the contents (through Windows Explorer) from the Rider to the computer. Then I copied fom the computer onto the SD card. I had some issues and had to do a reset when I was done and inserted the SD card, but everything works now.

What I normally do is update the Rider twice (when it has any updates needed) once with the SD card in it and once after removing the SD card to keep the internal memory updated as well.

Thanks Thom. I am a bit concerned when you say you had 'some issues'. If you had to do a reset - does that mean the issues were connected with some info retained in unit's memory that needed clearing out?

Thanks Thom. I am a bit concerned when you say you had 'some issues'. If you had to do a reset - does that mean the issues were connected with some info retained in unit's memory that needed clearing out?

My issue was that after moving to the SD card, my unit said the map wasn't present. A reset was done and then I rebooted.

Ask a Question