Rider 2 is now a PaperWeight

TomTom Model(s)
Rider2
My Rider 2 is now a Paper Weight. It will not start, and I have been thru Tomtoms customer service people and tried all the Tricks they suggested. I have had the Gps on 3 of my bikes and it worked just fine. I deciced to try it in my Car for a trip in February so I purchased a Car kit from Tomtom. It worked pretty good voice was clear and it acted as if it kept the Unit charged and as always the Gps functioned flawlessly. I did not use the Unit for a couple of weeks and then mounted it on a bike and it did not turn on, so I charged it with the home charger alas to no avail it will not come on, and Tomtom offers no Repair service beyond the 1 years Warranty. I was not aware of this. I am very disappointed. I am with belief that the Car adapter has something to do with the Malfunction of this Gps. Has any of Ya'll ever had this happen with a car adapter or not had their Rider 2 not start?. I have done all the Tricks of charging , resets, Plugged into the Computer. Am I missing something somewhere. I must add that anytime I have delt with Tomtoms customer Service it has been pleaseant . Thank you for reading my bit of Woe. Joker

Wow, that is really unfortunate. I too have an R2 and love it. I have no real suggestions for you, other than perhaps changing out the battery. Batteries are available from the aftermarket, here is an example:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=F650010252

and;

http://www.fixya.com/support/t388164-tom_tom_rider

I might suggest too, that you move this post to the "General TomTom Discussions" section. I say this because you will get much more response than you will probably get in the Rider section. Perhaps other units have had the same problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
Moving the thread is a good suggestion, rcacs. I just did it. Hopefully, the OP will get more response here........

Will it turn on when connected to the home charger at all ? iI it does, may be just the battery.

If not, there was a post some time ago on units that discharged past a certain point and would not take a charge. I do not recall if that also prevented it from turning on. There was a solution to that problem if that is what is happening.

I assume that if it will not come on at all , you cannot see it as a device on your computer and access anything on it either.

Thank you Gentlemen for the Suggestions. No it will not turn on. I have repaired some Ipods and Zunes so I may give it a shot at replacing the a battery , it looks like it might cost about 30.00 to try it. If this doesn't work I may try another Manufactures GPS. I have a Long Ride planned in April and would realy like this Puppy up and running. Thank again. I will keep Ya'll posted as to what happens. Joker

I don't have the Rider, but what you describe sounds like what I have been thru (twice now). I let my battery discharge too low (external power supply in my back pack while hiking), and it never came back. The last time, I pulled my unit apart (ONE XL) and disconnected the battery, then plugged the unit into the USB port of my computer without the battery in the loop. BINGO ! The unit powered up, but it did not have full functionality (during startup it pulls something a little over 500ma, which is just over the USB 2 standard). Once I put in a new battery and charged it up properly every thing worked fine again :)

You may be able to find the battery at Radio Shack. They sell TomTom products. They may also be able to service the unit for a fee. If you get the battery from them will probably be able to replace it in the store.

Thank you Gentlemen , I have purchased a battery from BatteryShip. When I get a little more time I am going to take it apart an try what 1XL has posted even if the battery has arrived. Joker

I am waiting for the New Battery from BatteryShip. The firtst Battery I recieved was for an RIDER which is a Flat type, The RIDER 2 is Tube Type. Hope this works. I did try to power it up without a Battery init , nothing happened. When I Disassembled the GPS i did find the Battery wires crimped .I should probably take the Battery (old one) apart and do a Continuity test to see if the Crimp was a Problem. "Check this out" I am receiving a Tomtom 130s as a Safety award from my work. Go figure , here I am wanting to be angry with Tomtom for lack of repair support and another one is will soon be in my Garage. I'll keep ya"ll posted about my Rider 2 repair adventure. Enjoy. Joker

Well I tried the New Battery and it did not work. My Rider is now Officially going on the Auction block with all the Accessories plus. Where do I list it for sale on this Forum?. Thanks for every ones help and Ideas trying to get this Puppy running again. Joker

Car adapter

I'm almost afraid to ask if you still have your car adapter for your Rider II. I've been trying to get my hands on one for a very long time. I suppose it might be a mistake considering it may have been what destroyed yours.

Mine is still nicely under warranty so it might be worth trying.

Yes I have it

Yes I do still have it, some where in my Garage. I will find it in the next couple of Days . Email me at (e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question