Rider 2 Discontinued?

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
Stopped at two retailers in my area, Best Buy and Radio Shack, to check out the Rider 2. Both tell me that the have discontinued stocking the unit.

Best Buy tells me that is an indication that the Manufacturer is planning to ungrade to another version.

Any ideas?

I am not surprised. Have you tried finding a Zumo? The M/C gps market is not very large. Best Buy used to handle the Zumo then all of a sudden they reduced the price and the units were not available. Best Buy started selling the Rider2 and it was the same scenario.:rolleyes:

Most riders just grab a cheap auto model and hope for the best. I opted for the m/c model because I figured it was weather and shock resistant. The Rider2 had the headset included . I thought that was another plus. The headset is extra with a Zumo. I also bought mine on sale at Best Buy. Another +. :)

If you want one you will probably have to search online.

I just bought a regular auto one, the TT One XL and use it on the ride and it works just fine for me, doesn't have all the fancy stuff or special cradle, I just use a Ram Mount with holder and it's good to go and gets me where I want to go, so for now I'm satisfied, I just carry a plastic zip lock bag to fit over the TT if it rains or just take it off and put it in my saddle bag............

There's a chance something new is coming.

The rider is using the outdated navcore 7, I'm sure tomtom would like to get all their new devices up to the 8.xx platform so they can consolidate their maps on the IQoutes platform.

Also, tomtom said new products will be coming in Q2 once old the inventory of old models were sold out, and they delivered on that promise with a refresh to the ONE/XL line worldwide, and the GO line in North America. Seems reasonable that RIDER could be next.

The Rider has been a very slow seller, very small percentage of TT's sales. I wouldn't be surprised the see the model discontinued, nor terribly surprised to see a completely redesigned one. I think the former would be more likely tho.

Ask a Question