Reverted to 6.60 from 6.65 maps. Not perfect, but much better.

Some tests have proven that the 6.60 (August 2006) map set that came with my new TT1 is producing much more logical routes. Previous problem areas for the 6.65 maps are obviously improved by the 6.60 maps. Go figure.:confused:

I'm beginning to think that TomTom may have specified that Tele Atlas produce a map update (6.65) that was trimmed to fit the newest TT1 firmware with on board RAM. Something had to go, and the result was that some built in routing logic or map characteristics had to change. Weighting of the consequences of such a move were no doubt skewed by the maniacal drive to cut costs...not to improve anything. This is pure speculation, but I haven't heard any other justification being aired.

Bottom line...

So far, the older map set really does produce better routes in my region. I've already provided some feedback to TomTom, but I'm not expecting a response. I do think the NavTeq maps are where TomTom needs to go for the US market. What do you think the chances are of that ever happening?

Ask a Question