returning ONE XL for 920 worth it?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
i just got the one XL for christmas and love it. the only thing i wish it had is handsfree bluetooth and MP3 player. i just found the 920 on sale at costco for 399$.

That seems to be a good deal on the 920 - is it worth upgrading for the extra $150? What other differences will i find between the one XL and the 920?

Only you can decide for sure.... but.... if you need any help with justification, you've come to the right place. :D

I have the 920 and LOVE it. It seems to have more detail to the map. Mind you, the maps are the same (from what I've heard anyway) but the detail includes lakes/ponds/etc and also more POI. Case in point would be I was in a city the other day and was unable to locate a coffee POI in the 720 that my new 920 found instantly. So I do believe the 920 has MORE POI data. The text to speech is nice to have, as well as bluetooth hands-free and mp3/audiobook functionality for those long road trips.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way.

Only you can decide for sure.... but.... if you need any help with justification, you've come to the right place. :D

I have the 920 and LOVE it. It seems to have more detail to the map. Mind you, the maps are the same (from what I've heard anyway) but the detail includes lakes/ponds/etc and also more POI. Case in point would be I was in a city the other day and was unable to locate a coffee POI in the 720 that my new 920 found instantly. So I do believe the 920 has MORE POI data. The text to speech is nice to have, as well as bluetooth hands-free and mp3/audiobook functionality for those long road trips.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way.

That's interesting. One of my issues with the 720 (even though I love it) is it's POI db. I thought the 920 and 720 used roughly the same maps. Could you do me a favor? Could you please demo a route on I-65 in Alabama, and see if it shows a speed limit? I don't get speed limit info on my 720 maps. Thanks.

I can test this for you. Can you give me more info, like a cross street or a city? I don't remember my 720 giving me speeds either.

I didn't see any difference in the maps between the 720 (which I had for a week) and the 920T that I now have. But I spent awhile in the store playing with the One XL, and the maps are definitely different. From what I saw, all the roads are there, but other map features are missing. For example, the two little lakes near my home weren't on the XL maps but were on the 720 and 920 maps.

Aside from the maps, other differences you will find from the XL are:

? 4GB internal memory vs 1GB

? pre-loaded maps of Europe and Guam (hence the 4GB) - you can delete them after backing up if you don't use and have room for other stuff

? 400mhz CPU with 64MB RAM vs 266mhz with 32MB RAM on the XL

? EPT sensor, for dead reckoning with no GPS signal, like inside a tunnel

Now with my 920, I've seen all the maps and the only map that warns you about speed limit on the freeway is the 650.xxx map.

Now with my 920, I've seen all the maps and the only map that warns you about speed limit on the freeway is the 650.xxx map.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the only NA map that was produced by Navteq. Tele Atlas needs to add speed data to their maps to fix our ETA and routing problems.

No, the 650.xxx map was produced by Teleatlas. There is a 660.xxx map that was produced by Navteq but only found on the TomTom Rider.

Ask a Question