Restart TomTom One From Scratch

sbr

Hi all

I've just bought a new Tomtom 1000 to replace my old Tomtom ONE. My son has now inherited the ONE.

For whatever reason, earlier this week it developed that fault where ti just flashed a red X above the SD card. The only way round this according to Tomtom support is to reset it and start afresh.

I've downloaded TomTom Home and ran all the relevant updates, however there are no maps installed. I can't figure out how to get the standard UK / ROI map on there. I've tried using the activation code in TomTom Home but when I type it in the Next button is greyed out. I can't fathom out anywhere on the net that has the maps to download (legally of course).

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Any help is appreciated.

Did TomTom support not tell you to make a backup?

That's an essential first stage in getting things going again, because if you DO lose your maps, there is no way to download them again (legally). TT won't help and you need to buy new ones.

However, all MIGHT not be lost.

Ignore the TomTom Home program for now.

Make that back up now using these instructions How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer and tell us if there is a folder called Great_Britain_and_Ireland or something similar.

Thanks for the prompt response Andy

I've put the AD card into the computer and there is a file called United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-5CB61EFD.mds - is that the map?

It also does have all the extras I had on it before so I'll make a backup of all that now.

I think that .mds file is part of the security "key" that locks the specific map to your particular unit.

The map itslef should be dozens of files inside a FOLDER called something like "Great Britain and Ireland" or "United Kingdom and Ireland".

The folders are the containers for files, shown with yellow icons and shown at the top of the list if you sort all the contents by name.

Here's mine, but it has the Western Europe map folder instead. Don't worry if your file listing looks very different, this is from a different model. It's just to give the idea...

FIles_and_Folders.jpg

Hmm, no I don't have anywhere near as much as that. It totals around 10MB of stuff on the card altogether. No map folders at all.

I think I might have had it with this one! :(

I think I might have had it with this one! :(
Not necessarily. So we're clear, can you identify which of the several ONE models you have? ONE 2nd, ONE Limited, or ONE XL / XL-S?

When you bought the unit, did you take advantage of the "Latest Map Guarantee", or have you ever updated the map on that One? If either is true, and you still have the PC where this was done, there's a good chance that you still have one copy of a UK/ROI map on it somewhere.

Ask a Question